Storage forum

General discussion

Cannot detect hard drive

by chevellemalibu / May 2, 2004 11:22 AM PDT

This is actually a followup to "hot start a harddrive" I have installed my second hard drive in line with the original one for the computer. This worked fine on my old system. There is no way to autodetect in my bios--Dell does not allow this. I can find my hard drive under computer management but there is no drive letter next to it nor can I access anything on it. It says that the drive is "healthy" and I have tried to rescan the drive. It is under the old FAT system whereas now I am running XP as opposed to 98. Thankyou for the last reply.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot detect hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot detect hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Cannot detect hard drive (Actually, the hard disk is detected!)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2004 9:20 PM PDT

The warning I may have issued to you is that if the drive was prepared with Disk Manager, EZDrive or any drive extender, then what you are seeing will happen.

It is not the "old FAT system" or it would be showing up as a drive letter.

To fix this, you have to identify what tool was used to prepare the drive. I would have guessed what that was IF you had noted the make/model of the drive. After that, you research about that tool and how to remove the drive extender.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Cannot detect hard drive (Actually, the hard disk is detected!)

Thank you again for the reply. The hard drive is a western digital wd400 40gig 7200rpm drive. I think that originally it may have come with a cd of which I will try to find. If I cannot, any input would again be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Collapse -
Remove EZ-Drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2004 1:04 PM PDT

But be careful and put the drive alone in the machine so you don't break what works now...

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=824&p_created=1037384345&p_sid=QR5M8tah&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTcyJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cmVtb3ZlIGV6LWRyaXZlJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9c2VhcmNoX2ZubCZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

" How to uninstall EZ-BIOS using Data Lifeguard Tools 10 and 2.8.
Question
How can I uninstall EZ-BIOS using Data Lifeguard Tools 10 and 2.8?
Answer
Data Lifeguard Tools will only run with a WD drive installed in the system. To remove EZ-BIOS from a non-WD drive, there must also be a WD drive installed in the system. Please make sure to back up the data on your drive before following the steps below.

Uninstalling EZ-BIOS using Data Lifeguard Tools 10

1. Boot directly to the Data Lifeguard Tools disk.

2. From the first screen that appears, choose Install Drive.

3. From the Data Lifeguard Options screen, choose Advanced Options and then click Next.

4. Next, choose EZ-BIOS Setup and click Next.

5. From the EZ-BIOS Setup screen, choose the drive you wish to remove EZ-BIOS from using the drop down menu at the top of the screen.

6. Click the Uninstall EZ-BIOS button at the bottom of the screen.

7. You will be asked to make sure that you truly wish to remove EZ-BIOS. Select Yes to confirm this and then click the Continue button.

8. At this point, EZ-BIOS has been uninstalled. Click OK.

Uninstalling EZ-BIOS using Data Lifeguard Tools 2.8

1. Boot directly to the Data Lifeguard Tools disk.

2. At the main menu, select EZ-Install.

3. Data Lifeguard Tools EZ-Install will load, bringing you to a Welcome Screen; press Enter to continue.

4. Read the License Agreement and press Enter to continue. You should now be at the main menu of EZ-install.

Note: A message may appear informing you that EZ-BIOS is needed to control your drive and offer to install it. Answer No if asked.

5. At the main menu of EZ-Install, select Advanced Options.

6. From the Advanced Options menu, select EZ-BIOS Setup.

7. A box will appear showing you the drives installed in your system. Highlight the correct drive and press Enter.

8. Once the correct drive is selected, another menu will appear, and an option labeled Controlled by EZ-BIOS will be listed. To the right of this option will be Enabled. Highlight that line and press Enter to change it to Disabled.

9. Select Save the changes and exit.

Note: At this point EZ-BIOS is only disabled and has not been completely uninstalled. Remove the Data Lifeguard Tools disk and reboot into Windows. The drive should appear under My Computer and you should be able to access your files. If so follow the steps below to uninstall EZ-BIOS from your drive.

10. Reboot to the Data Lifeguard Tools disk and navigate to the EZ-BIOS Setup menu by following steps 1-7 above.

11. After selecting the correct drive, highlight the Uninstall EZ-BIOSoption and press Enter to uninstall."

Collapse -
Re:Remove EZ-Drive.
by chevellemalibu / May 3, 2004 5:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Remove EZ-Drive.

Thank you again. I have uninstalled ez-bios and it seems to have had no effect. I actually had to do this inline with the main drive because it would not detct it otherwise. The computer will detect the hardware and asks me to reboot but once I do I still do not have a designated drive letter or access to anything on the drive. Under computer management it still shows the drive as healthy and "EISA". These drives are jumpered in line just as my old one was. Would this make a difference because the OS is different? Apparently I could repartition the drive but that would wipe it clean. Thank you.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Remove EZ-Drive. Since you didn't follow my note about ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2004 8:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Remove EZ-Drive.

Since the other drive was installed, the effect may not be what we wanted.

In short, the only drive should be the one that is in need of the removal. It should be in the master connector of the 80 conductor IDE cable and jumpered to Cable Select.

If that doesn't remove EZ-Bios, then the transplant was a failure and the drive was not moveable. Not all are.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Remove EZ-Drive. Since you didn't follow my note about ...

Thank you again. Actually I did follow your note about removing the drive but when the WD drive was in alone it would not show that it was installed. Only when I placed it in line with the Dell drive would it allow me to remove EZ-bios. You may be right, I may be stuck transferring my files and then wiping the drive clean. I just thought that there would be an easier way to move everything over.

Collapse -
That's a BIG CLUE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2004 12:09 AM PDT

If the drive didn't show up in the BIOS, its likely the jumper is incorrect or you had it on the wrong IDE connector.

Sort that out and then remove EZ-BIOS and then you may be good to go.

As it stands, its very possible things may work out.

Bob

Collapse -
how about in a laptop
by cabincrew / March 7, 2005 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Remove EZ-Drive.

i have problem with my laptop, the BIOS displays 0MB or HDD... what can you advice, thanks

Collapse -
My advice is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2005 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: how about in a laptop

That you create your own posting and report if the forum tip is not showing. It reads:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?