General discussion

cannot delete my files

hello,

at my university there is a win xp network.
i hosted some files on a computer, but now i cannot delete them
since they appear as being owned by some strange user, namely

S-1-5-21-1638949441-616313141-1858154789-1020

can anyone help me delete the files? i have no admin rights, unfortunately. thanx

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: cannot delete my files
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: cannot delete my files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You need to see the System Administrator

Only he can help you I suspect.

What do you mean by, 'you hosted some files on a computer'? Was this computer on the network? What files? What does 'hosted' mean in this context?

Mark

- Collapse -
more

so.. i downloaded some files, but instead of putting them into my account's space I left them on C/temp, the folder where anyone can put anything, but you can remove only your files.

after some days i want to delete them (since they are mp3-s and it is not quite allowed to have such things on university's pc's), but i get an error, something like i don't have the rights to delete them. when i click on properties i see that i (i.e. my user) has only reading rights, while full rights have only the admin and the user S-1-5-21-1638949441-616313141-1858154789-1020
now, i think that this "user" is actually a former session of mine, but i don't know how to get into it, to erase the mp3-s. can anyone help me? thanx

- Collapse -
You're a clever cookie.

I was going to say that exact same thing, that the user you don't recognise is a previous session of yours. Can't you just leave the files there in the temp? Or run disk cleanup? I really shouldn't be offering advise since you potentially breached your college's terms, but by not being secure I guess its morally wrong.

There's a method dozens of use in our college to completely get by every restriction, but I don't stop myself because as far as I am concerned it is their fallback.

- Collapse -
mp3

they're mp3-s and it is against the rules to have mp3-s in your account. that's why i want to erase them. any suggestions? thanx

- Collapse -
cant delete files
- Collapse -
He doesn't have administrative rights

Ha ha! Good one! Now HOW does he install it if he doesn't have administrative rights? Should he ask the System Administrator to install it for him? Happy

- Collapse -
that "strange user" is a SID ...

or "Security Identifier" and is how the operating system keeps track of accounts. For example, you can rename the Administrator account on a computer and still use that account to function as an administrator because Windows doesn?t really care what the name is; Windows still knows that this account is the Administrator account because the SID remains the same regardless of the account name.

If you open the registry editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList you can easily see the actual username for the specific SID.

It is most likely an Admin and you most likely don't have the permissions necessary to make the deletions. Regardless, you should bite the bullet and have an admin take care of the issue as attempting to bypass security can leave you open to legal action.

- Collapse -
registry

and how can i open the registry editor?
any other ideas? thanx

- Collapse -
Re: running registry editor

Not too difficult. It's called regedit, and you can run it from the Start>Run box. But I assume it's disabled for a non-administrator.

Kees

- Collapse -
yes

yes, i cannot run regedit.exe

anyway, any new suggestions how to delete those files?

thanx

- Collapse -
You're not getting the message.

The problem is no longer yours but the system's Administrator's.

Your problem is how you explain this to him. We can't help there I'm afraid.

And neither can we help you circumvent University networked security systems, so I am locking this discussion.

Sorry.

CNET Forums

Forum Info