Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot delete mplayer.exe

by bware70 / November 20, 2006 9:27 AM PST

Machine: Gateway
192 ram
MediaPlayer is not working properly, so I want to remove & reload. So I goto
start > search > files & folders
I select mplayer.exe select Delete, they disappear and about 1 sec. later they reappear! Properties seem to be O.K.
How do I remove these files??
Thank You Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot delete mplayer.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot delete mplayer.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Quite proper. SFP is protecting it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2006 10:04 AM PST

Look up SFP (system file protection) on

Collapse -
cannot dleete mplayer.exe
by bware70 / November 21, 2006 3:12 AM PST

Thank you Bob, that answered my question. I don't know how to proceed next.
Thank you again,Bill

Collapse -
Sorry for the short answer. Here's more
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2006 3:24 AM PST

I was in a rush this morning and hoped that was enough of a clue for you to nail it. But don't fret, we have more to share.

Let's look at the WMP MINI FAQ (google that if you want). It details how to remove WMP from various versions of windows.

Please check out and see if that helps.

It might help if I knew what you were trying to fix. Too often people try to fix WMP and all they really needed was something called a CODEC.

Collapse -
Sorry for the short answer. Here's more
by bware70 / November 21, 2006 5:19 AM PST

Hi Bob,
I am using "Radio Tuner" I had 8 stations in "My Stations" , next day when I started up there was only on. I cannot add any more, my idea was to remove & reinstall WMP
Thank You Bill

Collapse -
Such is in your logon "profile."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2006 6:20 AM PST
Collapse -
When I used to have Widows ME
by PudgyOne / November 21, 2006 6:42 PM PST

I had problems with the WMP. I contacted Microsoft and here was the reply:
Go to the URL below to download WMP9 and the 828026 update:

Please don't install it. We will install it later.

Step 2: Uninstall Windows Media Player 9 in your system

1. Click Start -> Run. Type the following "command" in the Open field and Click OK.

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection Uninstall 132 c:\windows\inf\wmp.inf

There are spaces between "rundll32.exe", "setupapi,InstallHinfSection", "Uninstall", "132" and "c:\windows\inf\wmp.inf"

2. Restart the computer into Safe Mode using the steps below:

a. Click Start, click Run, and then in the Open box, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotation marks). Click OK.

b. Click the Advance button. Check the "Enable Startup menu" item. Click Ok.

c. Reboot the computer. When the startup menu appears, choose Safe Mode and press Enter.

Note: If you don't want to see the startup menu later, you can repeat the above steps and uncheck the "Enable Startup menu" item in the #2.

Step 3: Install WMP9 and the 828026 update in Safe Mode

1. Enter into Safe Mode and locate to the downloaded WMP9 file to reinstall Windows Media Player 9.

2. After you finished install Windows Media Player 9, please install the 828026 update in Safe Mode.

3. Restart your system into Normal Mode and check to see whether or not the 828026 file still re-offers.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?