Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot delete folder

by thpapad / November 9, 2007 1:12 PM PST

I downloaded a rar file (15 mb) and once I unpacked it on my desktop (it would show 0 mb when I tried the properties tab) it would not allow the contents of the folder to be seen nor to be delete it. The message I got was ?unable to delete the file? and ?it is used by another program?. I tried the following to delete the file to no avail however: 1. DOS commands 2. The ?Unlocker? software 3. Tried to see what new files were created on that day (could not find anything suspicious) so I can delete them 4. Looked at the startup programs (could not find it there) 5. The ?restore at any earlier date? feature of windows XP 7. Looked in the registry (could not find anything) 8. Tried to see what processes were running so I can terminated it but could not locate anything 9. Tried the Ultimate Troubleshooter software to locate any suspicious running processes 10. PC tools ?Spyware doctor with Antivirus? and ?Threadfire?, Eset antivirus (it could not scan the folder because it appears to be locked), Avir antivirus, Panta microscan and XoftspySE and I got no malware detection what-so-ever.
Further info is that the folder can be moved around (Into other directories and folders but not into the trashcan) and it has the ?Read only? indication checked (But it cannot be unchecked)
I have administrator privileges on the windows xp system and if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot delete folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot delete folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
three options
by v_2vinch / November 9, 2007 2:42 PM PST
In reply to: Cannot delete folder

first you can try booting into safe mode and try deleting it from there...

if that does not work, create a new folder on your desktop dont name it then drag and drop it onto the file that wont delete now you should be able to delete it.

if that does not work either, try the following link..
http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

let us know if this was helpful

vc

Collapse -
reply-3 options
by thpapad / November 9, 2007 3:25 PM PST
In reply to: three options

All approaches failed..thank u anyway

Collapse -
try these
by v_2vinch / November 9, 2007 5:10 PM PST
In reply to: reply-3 options

determine the process that has the open handle, and then close that process.

Depending on how the file is opened (for example, it is open for exclusive access instead of shared access), you may not be able to delete a file that is in use.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242131/

the above link might help you download process explorer. using that, try identify which process is using the file...meanwhile let me look for more options.

vc

Collapse -
Cannot delete folder
by thpapad / November 10, 2007 2:36 PM PST
In reply to: try these

Tried "process explorer" but i cannot see anything suspicious. Maybe I am not using it correctly

Collapse -
I know you said...
by Me, Myself and You / November 10, 2007 6:32 PM PST
In reply to: Cannot delete folder

that you had tried "unlocker programs" but you never shared which. I hear MoveOnBoot is a good one, and moves the file exclusively before Windows has a chance to load up and lock it again. Did you try that?

Collapse -
two more suggestions
by TONI H / November 13, 2007 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: I know you said...

You (the original poster) mentioned that you used DOS commands...you didn't mention which ones or the method used.

Since you are able to move the folder around to new locations, try moving it directly to the C: root folder so it's easy to locate in DOS.

Reboot the computer using the XP installation disk and choose 'Repair' so you can get to the Recovery Console. Now type RMDIR C:/foldername here

If this doesn't work, get out your old W98 installation cd disk, along with your W98 bootdisk. Check the bootdisk to make sure it has the EXTRACT.EXE command on it....it usually has it by default.

Boot with the bootdisk, and stay at the A: prompt when it gets there (you might have to change the setting in the bios to boot to a floppy drive so hopefully you have one).

Now insert the W98 installation cd....and type the following:

EXTRACT D:\win98_40.cab deltree.exe /l c:\ (this is for Windows98FE)

or

EXTRACT D:\win98_44.cab deltree.exe /l c:\ (this is for Windows98SE)

This assumes that your cdrom drive is letter D: otherwise use something else. Most people have W98 Second Edition so the second choice is probably the most logical.

Once you have the deltree file in the root of C: along with the folder you want to delete, you can take out the W98 cd and the floppy disk and reboot again but this time, don't use the XP cd. Instead, press the F8 key to get to the various options, and choose Command Prompt. Once there, change to the C: drive prompt and type

DELTREE foldername here

This should finally remove the folder ... unless it has some type of obscure character in the name that will have to be replaced with a question mark in most instances.

Trying to remove/delete a file or folder while in a totally windows environment, even with a command prompt, and that includes SafeMode usually just runs you in circles...especially if the file is actually in use by another obscure program.

Winzip has the ability to also see into .cab files but I'm not sure if you have the ability to extract a file once you locate it in the #45 cab file. If you are able to do so, you can eliminate a huge hassle of steps trying to get that Deltree.exe file into the C: root folder so I would try that first.

TONI H

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?