Computer Help forum

General discussion

cannot delete file:can not read from the source file or disk

by Marsha Mailloux / October 5, 2006 8:36 AM PDT

I saved an email attachment to my desktop so that I could open it and view it with a specific program. The original email got deleted and the attachment was still on my desktop. Now I can not retrieve the email and I get an error message saying that I can not delete the attachment file because it can not read from the source file or disk. How can I get rid of this attachment now? I tried to find the original email with an "undo deleted files" program and couldn't find it. The file size is zero bytes however it is annoying to have it on my desktop. It won't even let me move it out of site. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Marty

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot delete file:can not read from the source file or disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot delete file:can not read from the source file or disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try
by PudgyOne / October 5, 2006 8:55 AM PDT

to delete this file in the safe mode?

Collapse -
deleting in safe mode
by Marsha Mailloux / October 5, 2006 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you try

Hi and thanks for your prompt help, unfortunately I tried to delete the file in safe mode and it didn't work. I also tried that program MOveonboot and it gave me a message...."the file is locked or doesn't exit" and when I say to continue and delete it on reboot...the file is still there on my desktop when my computer reboots.

Collapse -
Or Use The Free Remover Program Called...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 5, 2006 9:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
"MoveonBoot" unsuccessful.
by Marsha Mailloux / October 5, 2006 11:27 AM PDT

Hi and thanks for your prompt help, unfortunately I tried to delete the file in safe mode and it didn't work. I also tried that program MOveonboot and it gave me a message...."the file is locked or doesn't exit" and when I say to continue and delete it on reboot...the file is still there on my desktop when my computer reboots.

Collapse -
While In Safe Mode, Did You??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 6, 2006 12:50 PM PDT

..try to remove it manually by using a command prompt window? If not, please do so.

And just in case it's a virus (I've seen such things occur with viruses that were newer than the virus definitions on the onboard scanner), please click on one or both of the links below and run the scans they provide:

Housecall Online Scanner

Panda Online Scanner

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
using a command prompt window
by Marsha Mailloux / October 8, 2006 12:06 AM PDT

thanks for the advice but I am not that good at this kind of stuff. I am not quite sure what you mean. How do I do this?

Collapse -
Re: using a command prompt window
by Tufenuf / October 8, 2006 12:58 AM PDT

Marsha, Using a command prompt instructions are at the link below. If you do it make sure that you follow the instructions exactly. I'd first try the Unlocker program that I gave you in my other reply.

Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"

http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
the unlocker
by Marsha Mailloux / October 10, 2006 11:49 PM PDT

Tufenuf
Thanks a million!! I downloaded the unlocker and it took care of the problem. What an annoyance that was...thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad it worked & Thanks for posting back.
by Tufenuf / October 11, 2006 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: the unlocker
Collapse -
Try This
by Tufenuf / October 8, 2006 12:33 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!