Windows 7 forum

Question

Cannot delete empty folders in Windows 7

by ssj4gokuden / June 26, 2011 8:06 PM PDT

Hello, I am trying to delete some useless empty folders, but I am having an administrator issue that I can't seem to get around.

<div>I know already that I'm probably having this administrative problem because these folders are located on a separate hard drive than the one with my old and current installation of Windows 7. From what I've read, this leads to administrative issues, preventing me from deleting the folders. Right now, windows cannot detect who the current administrator is, and so far, every time I have tried to edit or change the administrator to my current admin account, I get some errors reporting that my access is denied.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot delete empty folders in Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot delete empty folders in Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: changing
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 26, 2011 8:24 PM PDT

Folders don't have admins, so you can't change those. Folders only have owners.

- How did you try to change the owner?
- What folder and what subfolders exactly?

Kees

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tried Taking Ownership?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 27, 2011 7:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
cannot delete empty folders in windows 7
by beancounterbill / March 21, 2013 5:00 AM PDT

I had the same problem today and here are the details as to how I got lucky and solved the problem:

(I am an accountant with a software appreciation but not an IT guy)

1. the empty folder I needed to delete was on a client server and not my Windows 7 64 bit laptop
2. "Unlocker" did not work as it could not access the server
3. I unchecked "read-only" in Properties for the empty folder; apply; OK.
4. I re-named the empty folder by appending an "x" on the end of the empty folder's name
5. I then right-clicked on the empty folder, selected "delete" and the empty folder disappeared

I hope this helps someone as a lot of you have helped me in the past.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?