Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

cannot create new categories

by EmpathyHeals / February 4, 2014 12:35 AM PST

I am trying to create new categories for hotmail but every time I try I get a message: Sorry, Outlook wasn't able to complete this request. If you keep seeing this message, go to Service status to check if there's a problem with Outlook. No matter what I try it will not create a new category; I try to right click on the right-side frame and click on "new category" and while the text box opens and I can write the category name, it does not save it. That message appears and I cannot select it. I get the same message regardless of browser; I have tried firefox, chrome, and seamonkey. I also am trying to use Windows Live Hotmail but I am using Widnows 8.1 and that comes with its own set of problems. I would like to figure out how to add categories through here but I can't even get the emails to synch up right. I am concerned because I see a very different number of emails in folders here than in the browser.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot create new categories
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot create new categories
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
why can't i add categories though?
by EmpathyHeals / February 4, 2014 1:58 AM PST

even through browsers; is there a limit? it doesn't tell me.

Collapse -
Part joke, part answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2014 1:59 AM PST

It's a Microsoft product.

Collapse -
i am getting errors / confusion at every step
by EmpathyHeals / February 4, 2014 3:51 AM PST

I am trying to figure out how to resolve the issues with the inability to create personal categories in Hotmail anymore under any circumstance or any browser, as well as trying to get windows live mail to work, which I just updated to the 2012 version, and I am getting errors and the folders under the updated windows live mail 2012 still don't sync up to the browser version.

I see folders with emails on the live mail side that don't exist on the browser and they do not synch up when i click on send/receive messages. The difference is hundreds of emails and it makes me nervous on top of frustrated that I can't create categories.

I know ppl just say "it's a microsoft product" and recommend other products but it's not like it's that easy to move my entire account with thousands of emails to another that will not have problems too and I will be able to access from anywhere. Plus I have had my address for years; I guess I could set up forwarding but is there a good enough email service out there free online that I can be sure won't give me problems and not make the whole effort to transition more of a pain than is worth it? I don't know but right now I have hit a roadblock with hotmail to where it has been working fine and doing what I needed relatively well but not being able to create new categories is just a really big problem. I use them and not having the ability to create new ones for weeks now is creating a backlog and things are getting disorganized; I need to figure out how to fix this!!

Collapse -
another error
by EmpathyHeals / February 4, 2014 3:54 AM PST

Here is the other error I am getting when I click to edit my profile:
Microsoft account
This page is temporarily unavailable
We're sorry, there was a problem showing this page. We experienced some technical difficulties retrieving the content.

Collapse -
Again, why no one can fix it but Microsoft.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2014 3:58 AM PST

I am guessing you want to know why we rarely see these issues resolved in the forums. It's pretty simple. Microsoft does not release the source code and has other agendas here. That is, the free email client is just that and they want to upsell to Outlook.

You can continue to ask for a fix but there's a reason why this is so. My guess is you needed this laid out.

As to moving, I did so long ago and will not be coming back to Hotmail or any Live product.

All Answers

Collapse -
Link comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2014 12:49 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?