General discussion

Cannot Connect to microsoft.com

Hello. I desperately need help, and it has been years. And i do not understand these stuff as i am not that techie.

I have Windows XP HomeEdition SP 3.

I've been trying to connect to microsoft.com using IE and other browsers but it either tells me, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" or "Server Cannot be found" etc.

on IE when i try to "Diagnose Connection Problem" it tells me to contact my manufacturer, and doesnt really help.

when i click on "diagnostic log" it tells me these:

Last diagnostic run time: 10/12/10 13:56:57 Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection 2, Device=Bluetooth Personal Area Network, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Realtek RTL8102/8103 Family PCI-E FE NIC, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection, Device=802.11b/g Mini Card Wireless Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Network connection: Name=SmartBro, Device=ZTE Proprietary HS-USB Modem #2, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
warn This machine has more than one Ethernet or more than one Wireless adapter
info Redirecting user to support call

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12037 connecting to www.passport.net: The date in the certificate is invalid or has expired
info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.hotmail.com.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

<<<Does it say whats wrong? what do i need to do pls?

i'm using a mobile broadband connection atm, the one's that look like usb sticks? But i dont think its that, coz i also get the same problem even when im connected to our router.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Cannot Connect to microsoft.com
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cannot Connect to microsoft.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just a quick guess

This would not normally solve problems where just one web site cannot be connected to, but it's worth a try.

Open IE, goto Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab. Click the LAN Settings button. In the new dialog window is there any "Proxy Server" settings set? If so, remove every option in that window and OK out. Close down IE, re-open it, and try again.

Mark

- Collapse -
See if it is a MTU problem ...
- Collapse -
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" DNS

An alternative solution might be to change your DNS server. For instructions specific to "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage",

Post was last edited on November 12, 2015 4:08 AM PST

CNET Forums

Forum Info