Mac OS forum

General discussion

Cannot connect to internet at home

I have snow leopard, the newest one, on my macbook pro 15 inch. It is brand new and works flawlessly, and I connect it to many different networks.

The only network it wont work on is my home connection. There is one other computer on the wireless at home and it works fine. My mac will connect to the linksys router, but not to the internet. When I look at airport it says it does not have an IP.

So I manually put in the router IP and all of that information, and now it reads as connected, and to the internet. However If I go to any websites, it will try to load it, and then time out. I have full reception.

Here's the kick - If I connect it directly to the router via ethernet, it says "cannot find IP", which I've never seen in my life.

Any help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot connect to internet at home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot connect to internet at home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More information required

In reply to: Cannot connect to internet at home

How is the MacBook connected to the router?

Wired or Wireless.

If Wireless, try removing the security on the wireless network and try again.

OR/AND

Try connecting with the MBP directly wired to the router.

Leave the settings as DHCP.

Let us know how you get on

P

Collapse -
added info

In reply to: More information required

Normally wireless, both wired and wireless do not work. There is no security on the wireless network.

The MBP does not connect to the internet if it is directly wired to the router. If the settings are left as DHCP It never connects to internet and says NO IP

Collapse -
Connect the MBP via ethernet cable

In reply to: added info

to the router.

Disconnect the other computer.

Reboot the MBP and see if you have any success now.

P

Collapse -
stupid router

In reply to: Connect the MBP via ethernet cable

no success. Says the same thing. no internet connection / self-assigned IP adress.

I powercycled both of them to no avail.

Collapse -
re: Stupid router

In reply to: stupid router

Is there any chance you have configured the router to allow only computers whose MAC address has been listed?

Is the IP address of your Mac that does not connect in the same range as the Mac that does connect?

Have you run the Connection Doctor in the Network preference pane to see where the problem is?

The good thing is that one Mac does connect to the internet. At least you know that the router is working.

regards,
centurion48

Collapse -
stupid router

In reply to: re: Stupid router

Well firstly the computer that works is a windows. with vista. (I've tried connecting with windows on my mac to no avail though)

It's set to DHCP or whatever that is, to automatically give them new IP adresses..

The IP address firstly says no ip and cannot connect, then automatically self assigns itself the IP 169.254.10.208, and the IP of the working computer is 192.168.1.13

connection doctor said im ******, basically. (cannot fix this problem please consult ISP)

Collapse -
re: Network Connection

In reply to: stupid router

It sounds to me like the Mac is trying to connect to another network rather than your network. Both computers on your network should have IP addresses in the same range (eg 192.168.1.01 to 192.168.1.200)

Under the Airport icon in the menu bar, does it show the names of the networks in your vicinity and does one have a tick? Is that the network you want to connect to? If it is not then go into your Network Preferences and make sure your network is at the top of the network listings by click and dragging it to the top.

regards,
centurion48

Collapse -

In reply to: re: Network Connection

There is only one network within 20 miles of my house. It is connected to MY router. It just says self-assigned IP and wont connect to the internet.

Collapse -
what if you connect it to the modem (cable or ADSL)

In reply to: Cannot connect to internet at home

Directly via Ethernet? It should then connect automatically. If that happens, some setting in the router must be faulty.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!