Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CANNOT CONNECT TO INTERNET

by jaxsdad / May 30, 2010 9:36 AM PDT

SYSTEM: WINDOWS XP ON A DELL DIMENSION 4700 SERIES USING INTERNET EXPLORER.

PROBLEM: Get "INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY THE WEBPAGE" when I try to sign on to Explorer.

RAN DIAGNOSTICS: Got this Message:

"WINDOWS CANNOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET USING HTTP, HTTPS OR FTP. THIS IS PROBABLY CAUSED BY FIREWALL SETTINGS
CHECK THE FIREWALL SETTINGS FOR THE HTTP PORT (80), HTTPS PORT (443), AND FTP PORT (21)"

ACTION: I am not that knowledgable about firewalls, but I went to the firewall menu and the settings for HTTP, HTTPS and FTP appear to be just as they say above.
I have been running on the internet for a long time and have never seen this problem.
I have an old admin profile (which I quit using some time ago because of a problem not being able load Adobe Flashplayer down properly). The folks from Adobe said that the profile was 'infected', so I created a new profile which has been working fine up to now.
I CAN get on the internet and use Yahoo mail ( that's how I got here) using that old profile, but don't want to keep using it.)
Why would I suddenly get problems linking to the internet with the new file and not the old one.
I saw a post similiar to this on 5/10, but didn't see that the solution applied to me.
One last thing..the evening before I got the link failures, I started getting some messages saying my computer was infected. I ran SuperAntiSpyware and Avast. Super.. found some problems which it quaranteened. Avast found nothing and says my system is secure.
I know...I should not have linked to a site with which I wasn't familiar. That, as they say, is water over the dam. Now I have to fix the problem. I thank you for any help. Clay

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CANNOT CONNECT TO INTERNET
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CANNOT CONNECT TO INTERNET
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this . . .
by Coryphaeus / May 30, 2010 11:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
WORKED
by jaxsdad / May 30, 2010 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this . . .

Resetting the Lan seems to be working. THANK YOU for the quick reply. It's not a setting I was even familiar with. Clay

Collapse -
CANNOT CONNECT TO INTERNET
by pcs365_12 / May 30, 2010 4:08 PM PDT

Hi,
first download malwarebytes and ccleaner and do a thorough check and once the spyware has been found and quarantined you candisable the lan and enable it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?