Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot connect through HTTP

by dmodmo1212 / May 16, 2009 11:58 AM PDT

I recently upgraded Internet Explorer on the PC at work from version 6 to version 8, and after working fine for a while, it stopped connecting to almost every webpage that i navigated to. This PC is the main office computer at a U-Haul dealer, and all of U-Haul's website (that we use for renting trucks, etc.) worked fine, which confused me.

When the network diagnostic is run, it says that windows can't connect through HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. Disabling the firewall does nothing to correct this problem. What's weird is that windows CAN connect through HTTPS and FTP; that's why Uhaul's site worked fine. I can access anything through HTTPS, like my Gmail account, clickbank, Uhaul, etc etc, and when I tried ftp.microsoft.com it worked as well. A normal HTTP page such as google won't connect.

If i shut down the computer, unplug the router, wait, plug in, and turn on the computer, Internet Explorer WILL connect to sites like normal--but eventually, it stops, and I can't connect with HTTP again!!!

Oh, and i uninstalled IE8 and went down to IE7 and updated everything, but have the same problem. GAH!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot connect through HTTP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot connect through HTTP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've seen similar before
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 16, 2009 8:31 PM PDT

but not under these circumstances so I don't know if I can help.

IE will still connect to https and FTP even if it is set up to connect through a Proxy. But not http.

In IE, goto Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab, and check through any Settings and LAN Settings buttons. Has a Proxy been set up? If so, perhaps changing that to "Automatically detect settings" would fix it.

If that does the trick, then your next task is to find out why those settings are being changed. The last one I saw with this the user had recently been Income Tax accounting software!

If it is not that, then I must pass and leave this to others to consider.

Mark

Collapse -
Well
by dmodmo1212 / May 18, 2009 6:44 AM PDT

I checked the settings when this happened, and everything had been set to "automatically detect settings" before the problem, and that's the way it is set now. No proxy. For a bit I thought it was a DNS problem, so I even called the ISP (Verizon) and had them give me the correct DNS addresses so I could set them manually, but it made no difference--so it's just back to automatic.

Collapse -
Cannot connect through HTTP
by Cursorcowboy / May 19, 2009 3:15 AM PDT

1. The article [Q870700] explains how to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with Internet Explorer 6 and Service Pack 2:

? Network connectivity issues
? Look for third-party firewall or antivirus programs
? Turn off the pop-up blocker
? Delete the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder
? Configure security, content, and advanced settings in Internet Explorer
? Use the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) tool to scan all files that are protected by Windows File Protection (WFP)
? Third-party browser extensions
? Create a new user profile

2. Click Start, Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then press ENTER. Click the Local Area Connection in the right window pane and look to see what is displayed at the bottom Details of the first column of the Network Connections context window. You should see a connection, whether connected and firewalled protected, including the network controller and IP Address.

3. It the Details does not show a proper connection, what happens if you repair it? Right-click the Local Area Connection and select Repair which may or may not restores the connectivity of your network connection. Repair operations attempt to refresh the stored data related to the connection and renew registration with networking services. Repair is used to issue broadcast renew of the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) address, flush the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), NetBIOS and domain name service (DNS) local caches, and reregister with Windows Internet Name Service (WINS_ and DNS.)

4. "You receive an error message in Internet Explorer: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" (Q956196)."

5. The article [Q314067] explains the procedure that you can use to troubleshoot TCP/IP issues depends on the type of network connection that you are using and the connectivity problem that you may be experiencing. Use either the instructions in the topic Automated troubleshooting or simply click Start, Run, type netsh diag gui, and then press ENTER.

Note: As instructed, "look for any items that are marked in red, expand those categories with the small plus in front, and then view the additional details about what the testing showed" and if you have further question concerning <b style="font-weight:normal; color:red">"FAILED" items, included them in your subsequent posts -- any item(s) displayed can be highlighted and copied.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.