Networking & Wireless forum

Resolved Question

cannot connect laptops to printer

by oregoncountry / September 6, 2013 9:03 AM PDT

Hi all,

I have a Toshiba Laptop

and an HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 printer. The printer is connected to the router (wireless) no problem. I ran the wizard again to make sure it is set up. It printed a test page.

But 2 of us are using it and neither of us can print. Both of us are connected to the router, Netgear, again, wireless. It says we have print job in que but it will not connect with printer.

Can someone shed any light on what the problem might be? We have used the printer before, but since the new router was put in about 2 weeks ago, neither of us can print. We both have re-done our setup on our laptops, with CD for printer.

Thank you, Denise

oregoncountry has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot connect laptops to printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot connect laptops to printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Since it worked before did you check the router firewall?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2013 9:17 AM PDT

As noted in this forum at;msg5412417 you have to configure your router to allow communication in your LAN.

As a comment, I'm getting some feedback from my buddies in the service industry folk push back when that needs to be changed that the clients sometimes will refuse the change and the printer or other is left inoperable. The bill is still presented and the client can explode.

Do you think this setting should be explained by the maker or will folk pay for service?

Collapse -
Ok, I'm updating drivers but to address your post Bob..
by oregoncountry / September 6, 2013 9:33 AM PDT, that is a bit over my head, but I am sharing the info with another person using the wifi and see if he can help me figure this out. I know that charter will come out and fix this if it's their "forgetting" to get our printer going.

I think I'll call charter now and see if they can help me on the phone, if not, may have to make an appt. We don't know how to reconfig the router if it's blocking the printer. I don't understand why the printer would say it is connected to the router though. I suppose it can be connected to the router, but not the internet between router and charter.

Sorry, I am not very advanced in this, Denise:)

Thank you both though, I will call charter now and see if they can help.

Collapse -
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2013 9:39 AM PDT

If the setting is enabled as I noted, the printer can connect to the router via wire or wifi just fine. But communication to the printer may be blocked because the fireware was enabled to block that communication.

-> I ask the question because folk seem to misunderstand why we turn it off.

And it's tongue in cheek that I write it's probably on so my friends in service shops can pay the rent.

Collapse -
Ok, talked to Charter
by oregoncountry / September 6, 2013 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: In short.

and they checked and said everything is set up in the house so any wireless device can pick up the wifi. He did say he had an HP just like ours and that it is an HP issue.

I suppose he may be right. I'm still a little confused. Everything in the house is picking up wifi, but even though the printer shows it "is" connected to the router, it won't print. But it sounds like you are saying that between the router and charter, there may be a block. I asked him about that and he said no, there wasn't a block on anything in the house.

I hope my reply here makes sense, thank you, I think you have helped a lot really. I was able to share your info with the tech on the phone. So you helped me know what to ask him.

Collapse -
by oregoncountry / September 6, 2013 9:39 AM PDT

it should be explained since it is as important as the computers being connected. denise

Collapse -
To wit
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2013 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

Then let them explain it. Here I'm seeing my friends in the service desk charge for the long explanation. Fixing it takes less than 5 minutes but explaining it takes hours. And it gets worse if the client "knows" networking.

And I must differentiate those that "know" from the seasoned networker. The seasoned networker reads the link I supply and then thanks us and gets it done.

Collapse -
Ok Bob
by oregoncountry / September 6, 2013 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: To wit

I understand now, sometimes I have to read things more then once.

I will use the printer manual, and see if we can "turn the dang thing off" if it's on, the firewall.

I'm not seasoned but thank you anyway, lol!! Denise

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by oregoncountry

Collapse -
Just a guess
by itsdigger / September 6, 2013 9:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
thank you as well Digger
by oregoncountry / September 6, 2013 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a guess

I did recheck all my device manager settings again as well.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?