Computer Help forum

General discussion

Cannot Burn any files onto DVD+RW

I bought a DVD+RW disc in the reputable store and i want it to burn all my photos, music and other important files. but i cannot burn any of it onto the disc here is what the message said on the screen.

"the disc in the drive is not a writable CD or it is full"

but when i use Sonic software that come with my PC can allow me to add files onto the disc, which is good. And another strange things when i use Sonic to burn my family video/DVD Movies onto DVD+R and it worked. But not on DVD+RW the same as above message appear.i want to know what the different between DVD+RW/DVD+R

My PC is HP t680a/windows XP HE/DVD,CD writer combo.

Thank You so much for help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot Burn any files onto DVD+RW
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot Burn any files onto DVD+RW
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cannot Burn any files onto DVD+RW

In reply to: Cannot Burn any files onto DVD+RW

Collapse -

Software that comes with the system may not work or work well when you replace the orginal h/w it supported. This is an OEM type of s/w also called "bundled s/w" that camew with the system. Plus, check to see if you're using the media the new burner requires and on top of that some cheaper media out there isn't as good as they advertize, thus you need to find one that works. I suggest a good namebrand media and spend a few more $$$ in doing so. Check those areas, but it may come to using yet another burner s/w or a retail version of what you have.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -

HP/Compaq has a bit of a habit of shipping drives that are DVD+R ONLY. That means no DVD+RW support. Unlike the CD market, there are 4 different standards for DVDs. There's DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW. Just because your drive supports one, doesn't make it automatic that it will support the others.

I've seen a lot of Compaq systems that come with a +R only drive, and given that HP owns Compaq, wouldn't be at all surprised to know they do it on the HP lines as well.

You will want to check this before progressing much further.

Collapse -

Hi.. Whenever I would use a CDR-W to save Data, you would have to Format that CD first in order for it to become just like a floppy where you can add all the Data.

Now anyone can jump in but when I wanted to put all data to even a plain DVD for safe keeping, it had to be Formatted first.

Good luck

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Cannot Burn any files onto DVD+RW

That's only if you're going to use packet writing software, which many CD/DVD burning vetrans like myself tend to frown upon. They tend to cause discs to fail much more quickly and cause a host of other problems.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Cannot Burn any files onto DVD+RW

There is a Patch in MS SP2 but if you go to MS you can download the Patch for SP1List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2
List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2

See Article 818733

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.