Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Cannot boot into Windows

by fabianhow / March 25, 2011 7:23 PM PDT

I cannot boot into Windows because it says that the file /boot/BCD is missing with an error code of 0x0000007. If I run Repair from my installation disk and in System Recovery Options, it says that it has detected problems and asks if I want to repair it. The items it wants to repair are: "
The following startup option will be repaired:
Name: {bootmgr}
Identifier: {9DEA862C-5CDD-4E70-ACC1-F32B344D4795}

The following startup options will be added:
Name: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
Path: Windows
Windows Device: Partition=C: (476938MB)

Name: Windows Recovery Environment (recovered)
Path: Recovery\9426aa67-30ff-11e0-a348-506313b5e718\Winre.wim
Windows Device: Partition=C: (476938MB)

A copy of the current boot configuration data will be saved as C:\Boot\BCD.Backup.0002
"
If I click yes, it says that it cannot save the current settings for the BCD and refuses to continue. When I choose Startup Repair, it attempts to fix the problem but fails. The problem details are:

Root cause found:
No OS files found on disk.
Repair action: Partition table repair
Result: Failed. Error code: 0x3bc3

I think that this is because Startup Repair is trying to fix the thumbdrive that I keep my Windows 7 install files in. I am overseas now and as my computer does not have an internal optical disk drive and my external drive is back home, thus using my thumbdrive is the only way to access the repair console.

I tried running a few commands, namely:
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Fixmbr and fixboot work, but when I run RebuildBCD, it detects C:\Windows as having a Windows installation, but if I type Y(yes) or A(all), it says that the requested system device cannot be found.

I am totally out of ideas now. As I am a student and need this computer up and running ASAP without needing a complete Windows reinstallation, it would really help if someone could help me with this. Thanks in advance. System specs: i5-520m, 8GB RAM, 500GB WD Scorpio Black, 1GB HD5650

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot boot into Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot boot into Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
mistake
by fabianhow / March 25, 2011 7:43 PM PDT

the error code for bcd is not 0x0000007, it is actually 0xc000000f.

Collapse -
additional info
by fabianhow / March 25, 2011 7:46 PM PDT
In reply to: mistake

The description of the problem with the bcd when Windows fails to boot is that "An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data."

Collapse -
new discovery
by fabianhow / March 25, 2011 8:19 PM PDT
In reply to: additional info

Someone or something erased e=the entire boot configuration store, because c:\boot does not exist at all, along with all the bcd data, so apparently all the bcd commands don't work at all. Is there a way to fix everything without reinstalling Windows?

Collapse -
Did you try EasyBCD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2011 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: new discovery
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?