Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Cannot boot from storage drive

by LUSCIOUSKIM718 / May 19, 2010 4:50 PM PDT

Ok, I recently got a bigger hard drive(260GB SATA) that replaced my extremely small 22GB main drive (C:).....but before I did that....I downloaded a program that imaged my main drive (C:) to my storage(1TB SATA) drive(E:)...funny....right after I imaged it, my PC crashed....but now I have no idea how to boot from the storage(E:) drive!!! I already installed my new hard drive & I see the PC recognizes it... Can someone guide me? My PC is down!! I was running on Vista but I do not have the Vista CD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot boot from storage drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot boot from storage drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows does not do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 8:30 PM PDT

Boot from USB, Firewire is not possible with the standard issue Windows. Even if you had the Vista DVD that is not supported.

Let's say you moved this new drive to inside the PC. Since it crashed we're not sure if the clone is any good.

Looks like you should set that drive aside since it may have your LAST COPY of your files and get another drive to go inside the PC. Next you need to find, acquire the missing Vista DVD (it never came on CD) or install UBUNTU (see google) until you get it sorted out.

But here's the bottom line. We don't want to touch that 22GB or 1GB drive until we are sure we have our files safe.

Collapse -
by LUSCIOUSKIM718 / May 20, 2010 8:20 PM PDT

Ok, I really don't know about Linux!! Yes, I Googled it!! Thanks so much for your input...but I just may have access to a Windows cd....which I can boot from...I just have to figure out how to go into BIOS & tell the PC to boot from the cd drive....oh, the clone is on my 1 Terrabyte drive (which is my storage drive [E:]) storage drive did not was my main drive (C:) that crashed....but thanks again.

Collapse -
You don't know Linux (and never should have to.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2010 9:09 PM PDT

That was SIX YEARS AGO and it's gotten better since then. This is all about gaining access to your machine and your files again. You can do this TODAY with Ubuntu and a LIVECD (google UBUNTU LIVECD).

I see no need for you to know it's Linux.

Collapse -
Instruct PC to boot from CD/DVD
by drtunababa / May 21, 2010 5:50 AM PDT

since u say you can get a hold of windows CD/DVD. while your machine powers on, it would flash the hot keys for entering into bios(namely:DEL/F2/F12...) Wwhen you are sure of the hotkey, restart the machine again, press the hotkey(s). while in bios,you should see an option/tab called boot or boot device or boot order, select that option use the designated keys to tell the pc to start from cd first.
if you cant get the hotkey, let us know the type of computer.

Collapse -
by LUSCIOUSKIM718 / May 22, 2010 6:06 AM PDT

ok....I went into BIOS but it's not giving me an option of booting from my cd rom....i went inside, unplugged the cd rom for a while then tried again...still....BIOS isn't giving me an option of booting from my cd rom...which means the pc isn't recognizing it!! Thanks again, cause I'm giving up! Sad I will just put it in the shop...but you can help me out for future reference...thanks a bunch..

Collapse -
not detecting?
by drtunababa / May 22, 2010 9:15 AM PDT

is it that the computer doesn't detect the cd at all? does the LED on the cd/dvd rom/rw drive light up at all? if ur answers to the above questions are yes. then when you go to the BIOS, you wont see "BOOT FROM CD" expressly stated. you would "see boot order" or something like "boot devices" or simply "boot". when you select this option. you would normally see a top-down list namely:
hard disk
cd/dvd rom
network boot
you now have to take the cd/dvd option to the top of the list. then save changes and restart.
if you answer to the previous questions is NO, then try changing the DVD drive and follow the above steps.hope i'v been of help 2 u? if you cant do it, send me the type of computer ,model etc..

Collapse -
by LUSCIOUSKIM718 / May 23, 2010 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: not detecting?

yes, I have done all of the above. My PC was re-built. I had an IDE motherboard but I changed to a SATA motherboard & as you already know, I changed both of my hard drives to SATA hard drives...but however, I know that at least one of my cd/dvd roms are IDE, but I already put it in the shop! Sad I will DEFINITELY let you know what the problem was when I pick it up. When I took my PC to them, I also took my old 22GB IDE hard drive to them & they may even be able to clone my programs to the new 260GB SATA hard drive...I am really hoping so because I never wrote down my product key number which was on that old drive...if they can't clone it, I will be forced to purchase another product key! I will keep you informed...Thanks!!

Collapse -
by drtunababa / May 23, 2010 6:01 AM PDT

hope it all works out well.goodluck

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?