Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Cannot add networked Vista printer to xp laptop.

by dcarlsen / December 21, 2008 8:08 AM PST

I have two pc's at home. My primary is a Vista 64bit PC with a Canon MP730 attached. That all works well. I also have an XP laptop. When I try to add the Canon MP730 as a network printer, I get a message saying a suitable driver could not be found. I have the MP730 setup as a shared printer and it does show up when you go thru the Add Printer screens. I also have the original MP730 setup disk for XP inserted in the laptop. I point it to the Drivers folder where there is a filed called mp50prn.inf. But It always says a suitable driver cannot be found.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot add networked Vista printer to xp laptop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot add networked Vista printer to xp laptop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Google this word.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 10:41 AM PST

LLTD

Is LLTD installed on the XP machine?

Did you try the old hook it up first to the XP machine trick?

Can you assure me that it's not accounts or firewall issues?

Collapse -
Same Issue
by cheddardip / December 21, 2008 11:10 AM PST
In reply to: Google this word.

I'm having the same issue. Any help would be great.

Collapse -
Cannot add network printer to XP
by dcarlsen / December 21, 2008 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: Google this word.

Thanks for the reply....

Yes, I have LLTD installed and running on the XP laptop.

I did try hooking up the printer to the XP machine first as a local printer and that does work. But when I move it back, I get the same error about not finding a suitable driver. I have the Windows firewall turned off on the Vista machine. I have my Symantec firewall turned off on the XP machine.

My only hub is a AT&T 2Wire router/hub combo. I'm not sure if there is anything in there I would have to change. I would think not since I'm just going from PC to PC.

Collapse -
Link, comment
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 11:00 PM PST
http://www.manualshark.org/manualshark/files/3/pdf_878.pdf has a note about the Software Guide and sharing in Canon's own software.

As you can imagine I can't read your manuals for you but do tell if you tried Canon's software and in that software set up the sharing. I would have copied the text from said PDF about this but they disabled the copy function.
Bob
Collapse -
Printer sharing
by cheddardip / December 22, 2008 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment

The network is setup for print sharing. The problem I'm having is the laptop won't see the driver for the printer. Also I have vista64 and the vista driver for the printer is 32bit. All network functions seem to work except sharing the printer.

This is the first network I've setup so maybe I don't know what I'm doing.

Collapse -
There;s networking and then
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: Printer sharing

We have settings in Canon's software. I apologize but I can't copy content from Canon's PDF files here. So I'll ask this.

Did you enable sharing in Canon's Software?

Collapse -
Canon Software?
by dcarlsen / December 23, 2008 9:11 AM PST

Are you referring to the Canon Toolbox software? I have it installed, but when I open it and click on Settings, it says a supported scanner is not installed. If I need Toolbox for this to work, I will try removing it and the printer driver and then reinstalling if you think that is the trick. I'm not sure if the Toolbox issue is related to not supporting 64bit or if it is some other issue.

Collapse -
Here's where I hit the limit
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2008 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: Canon Software?

I found one of two documents on sharing this printer from Vista. The document I found noted a change in said software but I never found the second document.

Since I don't own this printer I don't have the documentation. I know it sounds cruel but its time for you to help me along here by finding those documents and seeing where Canon tells you to set some sharing feature in their software.

It's possible what you are trying to do is not supported yet. That is, you may have to move the printer to the other machine and share from there.
Bob

Collapse -
email from canon
by cheddardip / December 23, 2008 10:11 PM PST

Thank you for your inquiry. We value you as a Canon customer and
appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I am sorry to hear that you
are having trouble setting up your MP730.

The problem you are having is 2 fold as you would need to use 64 bit
drivers (which are not available) for your Vista64 system as well as the
MP730 not being designed to be used in a network environment. I
apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

One option that is available to rectify the situation is purchasing a
unit such as the MP620 that is network and Vista64-compatible through
our Canon Loyalty Program. This is for out of warranty units which have
been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible
with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time
opportunity to purchase a new product of the same type, discounted from
the list price.

Collapse -
Then it's game over.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2008 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: email from canon

Sorry to read that. It means it's not supported yet and anything we dream up is just that and may have issues.

I wish I had access to the second document but it appears it doesn't matter until they get the drivers available (if ever.)
Bob

Collapse -
I may be missing something, but.....
by dcarlsen / December 23, 2008 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: Then it's game over.

I do have the MP730 working just fine as a printer on my Vista 64bit machine. Granted, the Toolbox is not working, so I lose out on the scan function. But I can copy and fax since those functions don't require the PC anyways. What I don't understand is that if the printer is working fine on the Vista machine, why can't this printer be shared? The sharing capability is provided by Windows itself, not the printer. The printer is unaware that the print job came from the Vista machine it is attached to versus some other machine on the network. So buying another Canon printer seems a bit drastic, doesn't it? If I do have to replace this printer, it will not be with a Canon, that I can guarantee.

Collapse -
Or a print server.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2008 11:38 PM PST

I do not have your printer. If this was mine I'd try it on my print server. I own a pair of WGPS606 Netgear devices that I got refurb for 26 bucks. I bought one and it worked so well I got a second.

The setup is a little bizarre so that is my thought why they ended up being returned but I write embedded software among other software so it made sense to me to setup the printer then abort at the last step to get the function I needed to work. It's a sad state of affairs that product documentation is poor to non-accessible as well as drivers that don't work.

So there's another option. A print server.
Bob

Collapse -
A comment on print servers
by fanofbastiat / December 24, 2008 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: Or a print server.

Sir,

As I was discussing with another gentleman, sharing printers is going to be a defining conflict for Microsoft software engineers to resolve between their varying operating systems. I wanted to make note of a print server which I purchased and would advise against using. I purchased a Netgear PS121 print server (v2) which is a common print server in use from what I could see. This print server will not allow sharing of a printer in which any of the parties utilise Windows Vista -- of course this is my own personal observation and may be incorrect. I did quite a bit of reading and research. I tried literally dozens of suggestions, but none to avail. Please reply with comment or suggestion.

Regards

Collapse -
Sorry but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 11:00 PM PST

My printers share just fine across Vista and more. You write "This print server will not allow sharing of a printer in which any of the parties utilise Windows Vista" yet it works for me.

This is NOT an offer to diagnose your printing issues. I will share however that too often I find machines with "suites" of interfering protection software. Also many don't want to know about networking and all the rules.

-> For that I suggest those that don't want to know the details RUN and get NETWORK MAGIC.

This wouldn't help the above issue but if I have drivers for each OS I have NO PROBLEMS. But then again I write code. I have applications in use that run on Windows, Palm PDAs, soon some Windows Mobile devices and even devices that have no display (embedded stuff.)

Again, this gives me a very unfair advantage to solving these issues.

But look at who fixed my car. For the most part I let the auto repair center do that. I'll fix the stuff I can myself but the big stuff is left to them.

-> Maybe that's it. Maybe some need to have the work done?
Bob

Collapse -
May need proxy software
by fanofbastiat / December 24, 2008 11:26 AM PST

Sir,

I relate strongly with your frustrations. I stayed up until 4 o'clock in the morning trying to resolve an identical error. Depending upon your tenacity you may be able to resolve this conflict through trial, error, and a lot of research. I ended up using McAfee software as a conduit for the operating systems (XP and Vista) to share my printer. I would purchase McAfee Total Protection (innumerable coupons and rebates are available by web search) and install the McAfee Easy Network (already included in McAfee Total Protection for 3-PC). It requires approximately one minute to set up Easy Network and the software package is a great value.

Cheers

Collapse -
same issue here
by snoozem / February 21, 2009 9:53 AM PST

hey, ever resolve this? i just got (feb 09) a vista64 machine as our new home 'server' with a canon mp780 connected. in trying to print from 2 different xp(sp3) computers in my home network i get the 'cannot locate a suitable driver' message when i try to install the printer. also tried to install the x86 driver at the vista64 end under sharing properties but still get that same 'suitable driver' error message. i'm about ready to loose it & downgrade the new box to xp. there's gotta be a simple workaround...? but can't find the exact fix on my web searches. there seems to be a (create a new port)fix going the other way 'vista to xp shared' but not 'xp to vista shared'. please help

Collapse -
For now...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2009 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: same issue here

We have a gruesome workaround.

We put the document in a shared folder and print it on the other PC.
Bob

Collapse -
got it working...
by jonnysnow / February 23, 2009 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: For now...

so the mp780 is shared off the new vista64 machine & i'm able to print from my other computers running xp(sp3). i basically followed all the directions at the ms technet posting http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
the weird thing for me was to turn ON password protected sharing. so i had to setup the same users/passwords on all the computers.

i also uninstalled the canon drivers on the xp laptop rebooted reinstalled the latest driver & update & was able to then install the printer as a local printer by creating the port mapped to the share \\vista64\mp780. my other xp box didn't require the uninstall\reinstall after i turned pps on.

previously i was unable to install via the local port method (i think) because i had password protected sharing off as suggested by other threads so it was just telling me that port was unavailable.

whew! 2 days worth of f'n around, thanks microsoft! at least i saved myself from downgrading the new vista64 machine to xp... would've lost all the cool media center features of vista which is why i bought the thing in the first place.

hope this helps somebody.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?