Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot access www.yahoo.com

by Geek-EE / March 18, 2007 5:21 PM PDT

I am having an odd problem with a computer that I built and installed for my dad. He can get browse the web fine in most cases, but he cannot go to www.yahoo.com. It seems that he can go to most other sites. Here are the pertinent bits of info that I can think of:

Windows XP Home Edition
Connecting through a DSL router
Norton AntiVirus 2006
Windows Firewall is off
- Go to www.yahoo.com, using IE7. It says ?Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.?
- Go to www.yahoo.com, using Firefox 1.5. It says ?The connection has timed out?
- Go to my.yahoo.com, mail.yahoo.com, calendar.yahoo.com using any browser and it works ok.
- Go to any other site and these other sites can be viewed without a problem.
- Other computers connected to that same DSL router work ok.
- Tried accessing www.yahoo.com through an anonymous proxy site. Works fine.
- Tried taking the computer to another network in a different location. No change.
- Tried clearing temporary Internet files, cookies, history, and form data. No change.
- Tried adding www.yahoo.com to Trusted sites. No change
- Tried clearing SSL state. No change.
- Disabled Norton AntiVirus. No change.
- Scanned using Adaware and quarantined the adware found. No change.
- Tried flushing the DNS by typing ?ipconfig /flushdns? at a command prompt. No change.
- Able to ping www.yahoo.com without a problem.
- Trying to load the 69.147.114.210 webpage does not work any better than going to www.yahoo.com.
- Checked the ?hosts? file and did not find www.yahoo.com listed
- Used REGEDIT to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ Tcpip\ Parameters\ Interfaces and add an MTU value of 1454. No change.

Are there any other places I can look that would keep the computer from accessing this site?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot access www.yahoo.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot access www.yahoo.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Geek-EE
by tomron / March 18, 2007 9:32 PM PDT

Not that this is the issue,but I noticed that the latest version of Firefox is not installed.

This does seem odd.You seemed too have checked every possible angle.I remember one time I was unable too get to one particular site and it was caused by spybot not allowing it.

Tom

Collapse -
Geek-EE, latest version of FireFox is 2.0.0.3
by darclew1 / March 29, 2007 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Geek-EE

Title: Firefox 2.0.0.3
Filename: Firefox Setup 2.0.0.3.exe
File size: 5.73MB (6,006,832 bytes)
Requirements: Windows (All Versions)
License: Open Source
Date added: March 20, 2007
Author: Mozilla Organization
www.mozilla.org

Darrell L

Collapse -
About DNS Hijacks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 12:26 AM PDT

I usually spot them in the Hijackthis log. Take a look there for any entries that have the letters DNS. Share them here for a vote.

Bob

Collapse -
there are always problems with something
by aussiejock / March 28, 2007 12:49 PM PDT

Hi Geek, why don't U pull the power cable out of Ur Router and plug it back in that will reset it then try again to go to Yahoo. It works for me with most URLs that will not open. Have a try.

Collapse -
In my cse, I was having problems and computer said it
by darclew1 / March 28, 2007 3:40 PM PDT

checking. Now the only component that has created problems is IE7, I removed it and have had no more problems. Darrell L

Collapse -
Norton Internet Security was causing the problem
by pofigator / June 21, 2007 1:59 PM PDT

For some misterious reason all HTTPS (Port 443) outbound connectionwere bloked by Norton Internet Security 2005.

The nightmare started all of a sudden with no application installed or configuration changed before. Email sites as mail.yahoo.com and gmail.com were not accessible like they were down or having the DNS issues.

Humble hints in this thread to check firewall settings lead me to the following Norton Internet Security -> Status and Settings -> Personal Firewall -> Configure -> Advanced -> General. Here goes the list of rules and one of them says: "Block access to secure sites". It basically blocks all outgoing TCP connections to port 443 which is used for HTTPS. Just wondering what is a stupid entity created this rule. Anyway ... simple unchecking the rule's checkbox solves the problem. If OK button is not active or does not respond, just close the "Advanced Firewall" window. Your settings will be saved anyway Wink

Conclusion: do not trust any "smarty pants" firewalls that guess settings for dummy users. Control your security; otherwise it will turn into your prizon Wink

Collapse -
Cannot access www.yahoo.com
by ragsug / April 30, 2008 1:23 AM PDT

Geek-EE
I am running into the same issue and co-incidentally I have also tried all your troubleshooting steps with no luck. How did you resolve yours. Did you end up rebuilding PC? Can you pl. email me at ragsug@gmail.com. Thx for your time.
Raghu

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?