Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot access to the other network computer's files and fold

by Michel Petrucci / January 31, 2007 12:56 AM PST

Hi, My daugther and I, we share an home network between our computers.
I have the direct connection to internet.
The internet Connection sharing works perfectely. but I Cannot access to the her computer's files and folders. even when I got to her files and folders properties and set to be shared.
But she can easely access to my shared files or folders.
When I try to open: "My Network Places\Microsoft windows network\Mshome\" I even cannot see her computer.
What can I do.??
Thank you very much indeed.
Michel.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
(NT) Both have the same network name?
by Coryphaeus / January 31, 2007 2:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Using A Crossover Cable
by Darton Fury / January 31, 2007 2:56 AM PST

You must have an identical user account on both computers -same name, same password. Run the network setup wizard on the computer sharing the Internet connection first. Choose the option "This computer connects directly to the Internet..." Enable file and printer sharing. If you do not select a name for your workgroup, the default on both computers will be MSHome. Just has to be the same name on both computers. Now run the wizard on the other computer. Select the appropriate option for connecting thru the sharing computer and enable File and Printer Sharing. Verify that Windows Firewall is enabled only on the PC directly connected to the Internet. Log on using the account that you created on both computers and move or copy the files you want to share to the Shared Folder. The Shared Folder should be accessible from the other computer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!