Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Cannot access site on one computer but can on others

by bbv92590 / April 5, 2005 4:56 AM PDT

I have a Dell 4550 on which my hard drive crashed and I had to replace/reinstall hooked up to a linksys befw11s4 router(firmware upgraded. I have site which when you get to it requires password etc. On other computers hooked to same router I can access site but the Dell with Win Xp reinstall/updated/sp2 will not load page. I keep getting a"page cannot be foud" hhtp 404.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wayne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot access site on one computer but can on others
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot access site on one computer but can on others
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell more.
by Kees Bakker / April 13, 2005 8:00 AM PDT

Such as the url of the logon page, if you can access other pages on that site, and if you can logon to cnet (for example) on that computer. It really depends on how the site asks it password. Could need javascript, java, https/ssl, activex, cookie support to name things that could be wrong in principle. But 'page not found' message is rather strange with all these things.

Then there could be site blocking by a hosts file, an ad blocker, a pop up blocker, parental control, spybot immunization, real-time spyware blocking (like MS anti-spyware beta). That most likely would explain the error message.

Did you already try another browser like Firefox. If that works, it's a very useful workaround, and it somewhat restricts the area to look for the solution.

Can you ping the site?

I don't expect it's the router. But it's free to switch connections, of course.

Kees

Collapse -
have fix sort of
by bbv92590 / April 19, 2005 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell more.

have tried all of the above finally just cut and pasted disclaimer page from another computer and sent to myself and I use it to get into the site but but I have to accept terms twice but it works.

Thanks
Wayne

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.