Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Cannot access Internet options

by dawillie / June 1, 2008 9:12 AM PDT

Help please.

Running Windows XP-SP-2, fully patched and IE 7.0 for a browser.

When I go to Tools> Internet Options and click on it, I see some thing flashing but no options menu that starts with the General and has a series of tabs.

All other things in the Tools menu are accessible e.g. Sun Java console, Yahoo Messenger etc.

Can someone please show me a workaround to this.

TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot access Internet options
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot access Internet options
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cannot access Internet options
by Tufenuf / June 1, 2008 11:29 AM PDT

dawillie, If you have Spybot S&D installed open it, click Mode, choose Advanced Mode,click on Tools, click on IE Tweaks and uncheck "Lock IE start page setting against user changes {current user}".

If you don't have Spybot S&D installed go to the link below and click on Win XP Fixes, click on "Fix Internet Options Restriction" (left column) and download the "xp_fix_internetoptions.vbs" file - Disable/Enable Set Internet Options in Windows XP.

Instructions are on the page.

http://www.dougknox.com/index.html

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Thank you
by dawillie / June 1, 2008 12:26 PM PDT

I found the link and d/l the workaround but it did not work even though I followed the instructions.

Looks like a Registry value needs to be changed or should I just uninstall and re-install IE 7.0?

TIA

David

Collapse -
Re: Thank you
by Tufenuf / June 1, 2008 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

David, I never installed IE7 so I wouldn't know if uninstalling it and going back to IE6 would correct that problem. It wouldn't hurt to try it. Do you have any anti-spyware or anti-virus programs installed which may have a setting similar to Spybot S&D?

Tufenuf

Collapse -
(NT) Not as far as I am aware.
by dawillie / June 1, 2008 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Thank you
Collapse -
Uninstalling/reinstalling may do it, but...
by John.Wilkinson / June 1, 2008 3:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

Could you post a screenshot (using a free hosting website such as ImageShack) to illustrate what the flashing thing is that appears instead of the standard menu? The reinstallation may resolve the problem if it's a IE corruption issue, but if it's a setting or third-party application issue it may not.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!