General discussion

cannot access any part of yahoo

hi,
over the past 2 weeks i have run into some problems with yahoo. it started out with me not being able to access their "yahoo mail" page. it wasnt that i couldnt log in, just that when i clicked the mail icon, the page would time out and say..."page cannot be found" now, recently when i type the yahoo domain name in my browser it casnt even load yahoo's main page. i can access any other web site on the net. all of my messengers, ftp clients, file share, etc.. work just fine. anywhere that links to yahoo will not work either. i have deep scanned my system with 2 different anti-spyware programs, 2 anti-virus programs, and cleaned the registry. still cant seem to find an answer. my e-mail is set up through them so..its kind of frustrating. i'm running xp home, using firefox and internet explorer. if someone could help me out it would be appreciated greatly.

thanks
tom

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: cannot access any part of yahoo
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: cannot access any part of yahoo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tommy, Just Some Thoughts..

Have you tried clearing all Temporary Intenet Files, Cookies, Temp folders and Caches in Firefox and Internet Explorer?

Clicking on this link doesn't work for you?

http://mail.yahoo.com/?.intl=us

Checked your "HOSTS" file?

You said "File Share"...Do you mean P2P file sharing with something like KaZaa? Have you run an online scan with either or both of the free online scanners below?:

Housecall Online Scanner

Panda Online Scanner

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
tried it all

i tried everything there, with the exception of the HOSTS suggestion. if someone could tell me what that is i would appreciate it. im baffled by this. it just does not make sense.

- Collapse -
What happens when you click this link?
http://68.142.226.33

Your HOSTS file can be located by searching your Windows directory for HOSTS. It is normally located in %SystemRoot$\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

There is normally another located in the same place named hosts.sam which is a SAMple file.

Both are simple TEXT files and can be opened and read or edited with Notepad.

- Collapse -
that loaded the page

it seemed like that link loaded the page..im guessing its not from my cache..cause it took a second to load the pictures. so what would this mean edward?

thanks
tom

- Collapse -
by the way..

by the way..while that link let me load their main page, i could still not open any of the links from the page.

tom

- Collapse -
What does it mean?

As I hinted, it is usually caused by an entry in YOUR hosts file. Did you open yours and take a look?

It can also be a problem with a name server not getting updated--you would have to check with your ISP and see if they had received other complaints.

CNET Forums

Forum Info