Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Cannnot update virus, access AV websites or run anti-malware

by yesjay / December 23, 2008 5:17 PM PST

Hi, I have a VAIO PCG-FX805 laptop, Win XP Home (SP2). I have noticed since yesterday that my anti-virus (F-secure) is not updating the virus definitions. Also my laptop was very slow, compared to last week. I have done a full scan (presumably with out of date virus definitions), which didnt pick up anything. I then tried to run Malwarebytes which had been installed in my computer and it wont work. Tried downloading it again, after uninstalling it and still wont work. One of the other threads in this forum suggested download MBAM through a "clean" computer to a flashdisk and running it from there. I tried that - it didnt work either. Have tried renaming the MBAM exe files; still doesnt work. I have SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D already installed. None of them would run either. I tried accessing Norton, Kaspersky and many other anti-virus websites and am denied access to all of them. I can access most other websites, though. I have got a hijackthis log, but wont post it until someone asks me to do so.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Jay

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannnot update virus, access AV websites or run anti-malware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannnot update virus, access AV websites or run anti-malware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try booting into safe mode
by Tarq57 / December 23, 2008 5:35 PM PST

(with networking) and see if any of the security programs can be run, especially SAS and MBAM. If they open, update them and try a scan.

Collapse -
Further problems
by yesjay / December 23, 2008 9:09 PM PST

Thanks for your prompt reply. Finally managed to get MBAM to run after several attempts. It found 16 suspicious objects and deleted most of them. I was asked to reboot to remove the more stubborn ones. Unfortunately it will not boot back again..!!! I cant even get into the safe mode (through F8). The screen is frozen after the SONY display. Have left it for some time, to make sure it is not a heating issue. I hope I havent deleted some important registry files.. Thanks for any advice.

Collapse -
When Such A Thing Happens..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Further problems

..and you can't boot to either "normal" or "Safe Mode" Windows, then you have few choices. The malware may have damaged important system files. You might be able to get it to boot again, by using "Last Known Good Configuration" by restarting the computer, then press the F8 key, once per second, till you see a selection screen. Use the Up/down arrow keys to select "Last Known Good Configuration", then press the "Enter" key.. Follow the prompts to let the computer find a previously working registry and restart to when the computer was working..

If the above step doesn't get it done, you'll want to try a repair installation of your operating system first.. It will usually allow the important system files to be reinstalled and still keep your important personal documents, pictures, etc.. You WILL need the original XP disc, the Recovery Discs from the computer manufacturer, OR.. the Recovery Partition that is frequently created at the factory by major computer manufacturers.

And if the repair installation doesn't work, then you'll need to do a "destructive" uninstall/reinstall of everything back to it's original condition.. Because the computer is formatted during this type of procedure, ALL data will be lost from your hard drive.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I have now managed to boot back again
by yesjay / December 24, 2008 9:19 AM PST

This time I have scanned with MBAM, ASAS, Spybot and have removed most of the trojans etc. It still would not let me access Kaspersky website, since I am due to install my latest version, for which I have the activation code, but havent downloaded the software yet. Whenever I type Kaspersky it takes me to something called netsecuritybureau which warns me that I have several viruses and prompts me to click on suspicious links. I have not done this since I suspect my browser might have been hijacked. The same site opens with most of the antivirus sites, but my standard emails, google, news sites etc works fine. Am I dealing with some strange trojans...???!!!

Collapse -
Looks Like Changes Are Still There..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 25, 2008 4:39 AM PST

First, rerun full scan with the removal tools until NOTHING is detected.. Once that's done, open the HOSTS file which resides at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc.. Open the file using Notepad and check for a any listing such as the Kaspersky site.. If it's there, remove the listing and save the changes.. Or to make it easier, simply rename the current HOSTS file, which does not have a file extension, to HOSTS.txt.

Try accessing the site after following the steps above.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Solved for now
by yesjay / December 25, 2008 5:24 PM PST

Thanks Grif, I managed to download Kaspersky through a clean computer and then installed it in the troubled one. After a full system scan with Kaspersky, it looks like the problem is solved for now. Thanks for all your help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!