Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

cannnot share printers or files on wireless network

by whpoteat / August 23, 2005 11:26 PM PDT

One of my computers is a (hpmx70 with a lexmarkx6150 printer), the other computer on my wireless network is a (dell 8400 with a canon ip6000d printer). I can access the internet via each computers but cannot do any printer or file sharing.
I have managed to make the printers (SHARED) on each computer, but when I run the (Add Printer Wizard) and browse for other printers on my network, the wizard cannot find any. All it finds is (Microsoft windows network). All firewall are off. Please help.
thanks.

whpoteat.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannnot share printers or files on wireless network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannnot share printers or files on wireless network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What firewall?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2005 11:33 PM PDT

I've found ZoneAlarm to have no true off setting. I've tested it in the off setting and it still was working. In this case I uninstall the firewall and try again.

Bob

Collapse -
Cannot share printer or files on my wireless network
by whpoteat / August 24, 2005 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: What firewall?

Thanks for the reply, but I don't have (zonealarm) on my conputer. any other suggestion will be happily noted.

Collapse -
The question remains unanswered.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 1:13 AM PDT

I can't guess what firewall you have disabled.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
cannot share printer or files on my wireless network
by whpoteat / August 24, 2005 7:00 AM PDT

Sorry,. Mcafee firewall.

Collapse -
Which has the same issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 7:21 AM PDT

I've disabled far too many and they all still work or can interfere. Except that MS XP one. Go figure.

Sorry that I can't list all the names, but I shared the Zonealarm issue in hopes you can work with the clues.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Add a TRUSTED NETWORK to the firewall settings
by linkit / November 29, 2006 1:09 PM PST

Do this on the host computer (computer that has printer directly connected to it) and all computers that wish to use that shared printer.

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=407002
(Follow the directions after "Add a Trusted Network for the ICS client")

Steps:
Disable printer sharing on the host computer.
Add the Trusted Network (trusted range of IP Addresses) to all computers.
Share the printer.
Restart all computers.
Now, try to find the shared printer when you Add Printer to non-host computers.

Collapse -
What OS's
by Mojo_58 / August 24, 2005 6:46 AM PDT

What OS are you running on the PC with the shared printer?

You might want to make sure the WORKGROUP name is the same on all your machines. This is an easy one to forget.

Edward Fox

Collapse -
cannot share printer or files on my wireless network
by whpoteat / August 24, 2005 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: What OS's

I an running windows XP, also the workgroup name is the same on both computers.

Collapse -
sharing
by Mojo_58 / August 25, 2005 1:33 AM PDT

You said you were able to share the printers so...

Go through the "add printer wizard" and add a network printer. For the printer name put the computer share name followed by the printer share name (e.g. \\my-computer\my-printer). Then point it to a print driver and !viola.

You can also browse to the share and install it that way as well. The easiest way to do this is Start>Run...in the Open box type in the computer name you are trying to connect to \\my-computer then click OK. The whack-whack bars are needed for the computer to understand you are looking for a network name. This should open the shares on the \\my-computer. You should notice the printer that you shared by the name you have given it. Double-click the printer and it should prompt you for installation.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edward Fox

Collapse -
sharing
by wabamun / August 27, 2005 12:22 AM PDT

I had the same problem. Make sure you have a user account with permission granted that is the same name you use to sign in on the other computer. If your sign in name is John Smith, create a user account with that name on the other computer and grant full access. Worked for me.
Good luck.

Collapse -
same problem
by johnhibbert21 / November 29, 2006 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: sharing

I have the same problem. How do i set "permission granted" on my host computer and "grant full access" on my laptop which you mention? Thanks

Collapse -
Is This a Hardware Issue?
by JohnChod / August 29, 2005 12:01 AM PDT

How is the printer connected to the network? Is it connected to the main PC (the one with the router) or is it connected to an access point on the network?

I don't think that a printer with a parallel connection to the main PC can print jobs from other PCs connected wirelessly. As far as I know, the printer must be on an access point which is part of the wireless network.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because I had the same problem and was never able to share the printer with my wireless PCs. I currently have one PC connected via ethernet and I can print from that one.

Collapse -
Usually not a hardware issue
by linkit / November 30, 2006 6:38 AM PST

Regardless of whether the printer is SHARED (connected directly to a computer) or NETWORKED (connected directly to a switch, router, WAP, etc.), the problem is usually a personal firewall issue (software on each computer).

The firewalls need to permit the IP ADDRESSES of all computers, printers, and other devices that need talk to one another. The problem is that many don't even know that a firewall is running on their computers; and if they do know one is running, they have no idea that the firewall needs to be configured to permit such communication. Some newer firewalls autodetect the range of IP addresses of the local network and permit those by default. Other firewalls have to be told what specific IP addresses or range of IP addresses are permitted or to be trusted.

The computer that hosts a shared printer doesn't care (or even know) how other computers connect (wired or wireless) to the the network. Also, it doesn't matter if the printer is connected via parallel, USB, or other method.

Collapse -
Sharing Printers
by Joe raffony / September 9, 2005 9:17 PM PDT

I have a computer with Windows XP. On line system is thru cable broadband and AOL. Also hooked up to a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. The printer is a HP Desk Jet 932C. The other Computer is hooked up to Linksys Wireless-G Ntework Adapter with Windows Me. I am able to get on line thru both computers. The computer with windows XP and connected printer work fine. I have gone thru the steps outlined on another site for sharing printers but cannot get the Me computer to print to the printer attached to the xp computer. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?