Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Canadian trash U.S. security threat

by EdH / April 1, 2006 7:55 PM PST
LINK

Tons of Canadian trash is shipped to the United States every day but it is not screened for security threats, according to a newly released government report.

A bipartisan Senate report issued Thursday calls for the suspension of trash shipments until U.S. Customs and Border Patrol can insure the containers do not pose a security threat, among other reforms in port security.

This could get messy.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canadian trash U.S. security threat
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canadian trash U.S. security threat
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Typical of Republicans
by duckman / April 1, 2006 11:15 PM PST

outsourcing our garbage supply

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks D'man, made me laugh. - Rob
by Ziks511 / April 2, 2006 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Typical of Republicans
Collapse -
Knee-jerk response
by Angeline Booher / April 2, 2006 1:53 AM PST

First, I didn't know that both our northern and southern neighbors shipped their solid waste to the US. Even my county trucks ours to an adjoining county, so I wasn't aware there was still much disposal room left in the US. Happy

What immediately came to mind was that garbage barge that sailed around for days looking for a place to take the load several years ago. My memory is hazy whether the garbage came from NYC or NJ.

Second, I don't know how solid waste containers can be checked. Containers that come into our ports can be opened, x-rayed, etc. but I would think the solid waste ones could not. Of course, I don't know, but it seems logical to me that the trash would have been compacted, like junk cars are. If so, seems rather unlikely that anybody wanting to ship dangerous contraband to the US has better options.

So I think that shipments arriving from overseas from many other countries should be the focus regarding port security.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I think the issue is that the garbage having come out
by Ziks511 / April 2, 2006 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Knee-jerk response

of the usual compressor style garbage truck is then compressed again going into the large tractor trailer style trucks that carry it to the land fill in Michigan (who bid on the contract for Toronto's waste). This double compaction makes for a dense mass that reveals no clear picture when X-rayed. Assuming a terrorist could smuggle a device into the garbage, he could make a perfectly good land fill site unusable for decades. Assuming he could smuggle himself into the rubbish, he'd be unusable for decades if not centuries. Beyond that I doubt there'd be much problem.

A nuclear device sufficiently small to pass as municipal rubbish, there are limits here as we have discovered trying to get rid of quite modest renovation rubbish, and well protected enough to survive compaction twice is probably beyond the abilities of a terrorist organization.

Toronto seemed to have found a very good solution 20 years ago in an old open pit mine near Kirkland Lake. Kirkland Lake was glad of the revenue, and Toronto was glad of the location. Environmentalists disagreed because of the threat to ground water. They may be right though there are two old garbage sites in Toronto, one a very dull ski hill with methane stacks on it, the other an attractive newly wooded area next to Toronto's zoo. Both of these were closed in the 60's and 70's, but we didn't think about things like ground water then.

I would suggest that this maybe an area where Republican hatred of regulations protecting the environment and of any restriction on corporations might be set aside as bad for the country. But that's your dilemma.

Rob

Collapse -
I don't know about Toronto...
by Angeline Booher / April 2, 2006 9:54 AM PDT

..... but in my city landfills have been limited to areas of real estate not considered as valuable to some others. Those filled up and closed. One was near the river, and measures had to be taken after the fact to stop the seepage. (Can you believe putting a landfill close to a river now?)

There's a big fight going on now. A part of the city with higher land values (read houses built on small lots) is now be considered for a ew landfill. One place is an old rock quarry. I think that it's time for them to take their turn. Happy

Back to Toronto. I still think that there are other options for terrorusts smuggling in bad stuff. Also, they want to kill lots of people with one fell swoop.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
We ought to send it back.
by Kiddpeat / April 2, 2006 4:42 AM PDT

One thing we don't need is to dispose of Canadian, Mexican, or any other country's trash. We've got more than enough of our own.

Collapse -
And breach a sacred contract with a corporation?
by Ziks511 / April 2, 2006 6:31 AM PDT

force a corporation not to do exactly as it pleases on land that it owns? Protect the American environment? Wow what a wild-eyed radical you've turned out to be! Wink

Keep smilin'

Rob

Collapse -
I know the problems are huge, and may be insurmountable, but
by Ziks511 / April 2, 2006 3:35 PM PDT

there are literally thousands of underground caverns created by underground testing in the Nevada desert, as my son showed me using Google Earth. Why don't we fill those with garbage? I know it's a finite amount of space, but they're just sitting there doing nothing, and there's no ground water to contaminate, so why not? Some sort of airlock system and vertically mounted compaction rig and "Robert is a close male relative", as the saying goes.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?