Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Canada may adopt gender-neutral national anthem

by jonah jones / March 4, 2010 8:19 PM PST

what next?

will "Oh, thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand" be deemed "sexist"?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canada may adopt gender-neutral national anthem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canada may adopt gender-neutral national anthem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can hardly say the word
by JP Bill / March 4, 2010 8:35 PM PST
Collapse -
At least Canada's national anthem is singable...
by Paul C / March 5, 2010 9:05 AM PST

...by most people. With its 2 1/2 octave range, The Star-Spangled Banner is impossible for the vast majority of Americans - who probably don't know that its tune was originally entitled The Anacreontic Song and was the creation of a group of English musicians - to sing correctly.

And no, I am NOT advocating that we change the American national anthem to something else!

Collapse -
And the song is butchered by
by Steven Haninger / March 5, 2010 7:29 PM PST

the warbling and fluttering song style of most of today's vocalists who cannot hold a note for a full millisecond. They should pass out earmuffs at some event openings. Happy

Collapse -
They keep fiddling with the Canadian National Anthem
by Ziks511 / March 4, 2010 9:10 PM PST

My wife and I learned the new version, only to be corrected by our Canadian friends. I've never explored past the first verse, so I can't speak to this particular piece of PC idiocy.

Nobody seems to care that the first verse runs "O Canada, our home and native land/ true patriot love in all thy sons command./ With glowing hearts we see thee rise, the True North Strong and Free, {old words: "And stand on guard, O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."} [new words, "From far and wide O Canada, we stand on guard for thee] {old words "O Canada, Glorious and Free" etc} [new words "God keep our land Glorious and Free, O Canada we stand on guard for thee, O Canada we stand on guard for thee."]

Part of the problem was it was written in French first, and didn't catch on until almost the Second World War, probably because it's a nice enough tune, but the English Words were awful. Before that the anthem was "The Maple Leaf Forever" which was the anthem for the Boer War, and World War 1. It was deemed to jingoistic and subservient to the British Empire. "In days of yore from Britain's shore /Wolfe the dauntless hero came and planted firm Brittannia's flag on Canada's fair domain." commemorates the defeat of the French on the Plains of Abraham above Quebec City in September of 1758, a battle in which both General's, Wolfe on the English side, and Montcalm on the French, were killed. In the States we called the conflict the French and Indian Wars, but it was in truth the first World War, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Years%27_War
involving a dozen or more different countries and tens of thousands of combattants and stretching from India westward to North America and the Caribbean.

French Canadians preferred Alouette (the Lark) in both world wars, which has no jingoism or reference to home country at all; then again, a lot of them preferred not to fight at all causing major political crises in Canada during both World Wars. Those who did fight fought extremely well. Les fusiliers de Montreal, La Regimente Vingt-duexieme, or the Van Doos carried themselves extremely well in both wars, and were rather irritated with their compatriots in the province of Quebec who refused and made such a fuss.

Rob

Collapse -
What the heck. My dog is gender neutral...
by EdHannigan / March 4, 2010 9:24 PM PST

so why not Canada?

Collapse -
ROFL
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 6, 2010 8:57 PM PST

But I bet that wasn't his choice! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) I don't think she cares.
by EdHannigan / March 6, 2010 9:09 PM PST
In reply to: ROFL
Collapse -
Ahhhhhhhhhh,
by Mike_Hanks / March 6, 2010 11:22 PM PST

I thought your dog may have been a male.
That would explain your comparison!!

Collapse -
It wasn't that long ago
by Angeline Booher / March 4, 2010 10:49 PM PST

........ that some (too many, IMO) feminists were demanding that anything God be changed from "He" to "She".

Angeline

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!