Question

Can your phone be hacked by just the phone number?

I'm kind of worried that my phone may have been hacked. I recently started working at a new job, and there is another spanish man that works there that seems kind of creepy. He's been asking me general questions over the past few weeks, name, birthday, where I live, and other stuff like that, so he has SOME general knowledge about me. Today he asked if he could have my cell phone number, and I didn't think much of it at the time, so I gave it to him. Not even an hour later, I opened my Galaxy S5 phone, and there was a text message up - that I had not even seen or read previously - that was open, and where I would type my message, it showed that I had typed "hahaha gracias". This would not be something that I would have ever typed, and I know that I had not. There were also other messages that showed that they had been read, but I had never opened them myself. I'm just a little spooked now and am wondering if this man would have been able to somehow hack my phone, even with just my phone number, my name, and some of my general information.

Thank you :/

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can your phone be hacked by just the phone number?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can your phone be hacked by just the phone number?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
My opinion

No.
Unless they work for the NSA Happy

- Collapse -
Answer
Good grief

I believe the correct term you were desperately searching for is 'Hispanic man'. Sheesh.

There's really nothing to see here, folks. Perform a simple factory reset of your phone if you have any worries about it being compromised. My guess is, somebody grabbed it quickly when you didn't have it locked and is simply messing with your head.

CNET Forums