Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can you verify this is a PSU failure? (With video)

by penitent penguin / May 14, 2010 3:05 AM PDT

The symptoms I am facing are simply put: The computer shuts down, unexpectedly. No warning, no erros, nothing.

The computer just suddenly turns off. The screens go black, the whirring of the fans stop, and the slowly come to a stop.

If i hit the power button after the system suddenly turns off without warning (No error screens or anything) and wait any amount of time after the issue- one second, or 2 days later- the LED lights inside of the case seem to flicker, as if they arent getting enough power. The Power supply normally has an blue LED that lights up the inside of it, but that light does not come on during this. Also, the CPU fans, start to spin upon boot- very slowly- but then come to a stop. All fans running through PCI though - Such as the PCI cooling fan/ or fans on the GPU's- will run, but very very slowly.

I can always get the computer to turn back on by just unplugging the power cable from the back of the powersupply or flipping the power switch on the PSU, and waiting for the MOBO to be drained of electricty (When all the LEDS turn off.) See this video to what I mean - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PTXqSrlTVs

There is also an issue with the audio that occurs after the system has/ or will crash. Here is a video of that, So you can hear what it sounds like.Here is a youtube clip you can hear the sound "freeze" as it plays. Also, I understand the video shows a stream of video playing from Hulu- but it does the same noise, if im playing an mp3 file on the local disc - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yABDCAOZxwo

The computer shuts down without warning. The first time this happend about a month ago, was during a 3 hour session of Eve online (Which also so happened to be the first time me playing the game).

Although, might I add, since then- 99% of the time when this happens- the computer is idle when it crashes. Nothing but the desktop up (and Avast running the background- not running scans- just sitting there), or sometimes I may have Chrome up, and surfing the web.

Like mentioning, the issue first happend while playing EVE. I felt that it was a heat issue at the time (because why else would it just shut down like that- during a game?)

So, I cleaned the PC (which did have a fair amount of dust in the components), I bought a fan that sits in the PCI slot next to my main GPU, and I put a secondary fan on the heatsink for my CPU. I also did resit the CPU with a new layer of thermal grease and made sure everything was clean.

After completing the days worth of cleaning and adding new gear, I played Crysis for two hours (Which has more demanding graphics than EVE) To see if it would crash (Since I thought it was a heat issue.). I also ran programs to moniter the temp of my GPU and CPU. The game ran at maxium settings, a solid frame rate, with no problems, for three hours non-stop playing. I thought the problem was solved, and closed out of crysis. Later that night, about 4 hours, the system shut off abrubtly while just sitting on the desktop (No background processes running besides what runs normally on windows - I had disabled the Anti-virus at this point.)

Well, the computer continues to shut down (again, while it sits idle, no programs running). Its concerning becaue everytime I find it turned off- I have to unplug the power from it, let the energy drain, the turn it back on or else it does that strange light flickering.

Windows always says the system didn't shut down tidy, and asks if I want to boot into safe mode or launch windows normally.

I ran multiple anti-virus softwares computer came out clean, ran hijack this and looked at all the processes running and reviewed them (all are fine).
I'm running programs to moniter my temps on the CPU and GPU Which all look fine
- all 4 cores are running at 43, 43, 37, 38 degrees celcious with a very light loas (1.5%) and while at idle at about 38 degrees all on average-
The GPUs run at about 40 C - 55C while idling and light loads but have run up to 75 C while in Eve.

So i'm thinking its the power supply, right? I just wanted a second opinion before I go drop $130 on a 700watt PSU.

My Current hardware/ OS
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Main GPU on main display - NVIDIA 8800 GTS
Secondary GPU for second moniter - NVIDIA 8400 GS
Intel quad core- Q6600 2.4GHz
Motherboard: ASUS striker extreme
4 gigs of ram.
OCZ 750watt PSU

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you verify this is a PSU failure? (With video)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you verify this is a PSU failure? (With video)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
- NVIDIA 8400 GS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2010 3:08 AM PDT

- NVIDIA 8400 GS

The 8400 GS was classic for creating such a failure. Rather than me write one more word. Try it without that card.
Bob

Collapse -
by penitent penguin / May 14, 2010 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: - NVIDIA 8400 GS

Thats a good idea. Let me try it and see how it runs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?