Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

Can you run more then 1 anti malware same time?

by Jeffbu / July 15, 2011 5:54 AM PDT

I know for anti virus, that you can't run anti virus at 1 time because there could be an issue, but can you run more then 1 malware remover program?

I want to run anti malware, super antispyware, and spybot remover at the same time? Is there any issue or problem?

Also can I run 3 of those anti spyware/malware remover and virus scanner at same?

I usually run them individual but now I just don't have the time, since I constantly using my laptop for everyday uses. I run them at least every 3 week at most,after I download or visit an unknown website accident.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you run more then 1 anti malware same time?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you run more then 1 anti malware same time?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
From what I have read
by Bob__B / July 15, 2011 7:29 AM PDT

It's not a good idea to have multiple anti-tools that play in the same area running real-time.......that means scanning in the background.......they might fight.

If you want to use multiple on-demand scanners.......meaning you start them manually......that should work.

Give it a try.

Collapse -
Answer
If by "run" you mean..
by Carol~ Moderator / July 15, 2011 7:32 AM PDT

Jeff..

When you say you know you can't "run" more than one antivirus, I take that to mean, you know you will have an issue if you have more than one "installed and running" (in real-time) at the same time.

IF you are referring to the PAID versions of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpware, it's best to use only one of the two. The paid versions run active in the background, while the FREE versions don't. I use the free versions as stand-alone scanners.

You also said you "run them individual but now I just don't have the time". In this particular instance, I take "run" to mean "scanning". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

>>Can I run 3 of those anti spyware/malware remover and virus scanner at same?<<

IF you're looking to save time by scanning with the 3 at the same time, I would strongly suggest AGAINST it. You don't want them "fighting with each other".

Sorry for all the "IF's", but I wanted to make sure I understood your terminology correctly.

Carol

Collapse -
A belated "Note"......
by Carol~ Moderator / July 15, 2011 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: If by "run" you mean..

What you choose to install, may also depend upon which A/V you have installed. For instance, if you have a "suite" installed. Some will recommend against installing ANY third party A/S software, which is running in real-time.

Collapse -
IT all free version
by Jeffbu / July 15, 2011 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: A belated "Note"......

Yes i mean "run scan" during the same time, sorry if I use the "run" term. Doing it manually, which is what I am always doing, not during real time or when it is start up (dont like tea-timer on spybot).

It all free version for the program- Anyway, I do feel safe, but there always that paranoid
feeling in my head. I do have a fire wall, 3 type of malware/spyware
cleaner, and 1 anti virus. Now I am trying with sandbox browser and
hoping to try with vmware in the future. - I do have all this protection because I tend to share with my family.

Thanks, I guess I will try running 3 of them same time ( later next month), or I will just take the "feel good" method and run it individual.

Collapse -
A small dose of paranoia..
by Carol~ Moderator / July 15, 2011 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: IT all free version

A small dose of paranoia might not be such a bad thing. It tends to keep us out of trouble. Wink

In fact, you might want to considered sharing some, with your family members. Devil

Sounds like you're well covered!

Collapse -
I Have AVG free V10.x & Ad-Aware free V9.x on my Win XP Pro
by bmagnois / July 15, 2011 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: A belated "Note"......

I Have AVG free V10.x and Ad-Aware free V9.x Installed on my Win XP Pro
My OS is Win XP Pro SP2 (MB is AMD Athlon2800XP)

Question:
My McAfee Security Scan Plus is warning me that I have multiple AV software loaded on same PC (says I shd only have one). How dangerous is this setup (risks) on my PC? If I have to get rid of any one of them, which one would you recommend?

Thanks,
BobM

Collapse -
AVG vs AAW
by Carol~ Moderator / July 15, 2011 12:36 PM PDT

Bob..

McAfee's warning is warranted. Ad-Aware 9 Free Internet Security provides antivirus protection, as does AVG. I would uninstall one of the two. The primary concerns are generally with instability issues, wasted system resources, crashes and slow performance. You also run a greater risk of encountering false positives. In a sense, both are competing with each other.

It's difficult to say which one I would choose. I've never used AVG. And I haven't used AAW in many years. When I did, there was no A/V component.

They're both good. Since you have both installed, there must be one you're more comfortable with. I don't like recommending something I haven't tried.

I'm not one to install software based on reviews. However, there's a moderator who used to cover this forum, and now (in part) tests software and writes reviews. I trust her opinion implicitly. Read, "Ad-Aware 9 Review". Unfortunately, she hasn't written a review (that I could find) comparing the two. But she did write one titled, "AVG Antivirus Free Review."

And lastly, "The Best Free Virus Protection for Windows".

In the end, it's going to be up to you. The only recommendation I make with certainty, is to uninstall one of the two programs.

Hope this helps..
Carol

Collapse -
AVG free vs. Ad-Aware free: General Comments on Free AV/AS
by bmagnois / July 15, 2011 5:49 PM PDT
In reply to: AVG vs AAW
Thank you for responding to these major issues as raised. My PC used to have both softwares installed for quite sometime w/o problems. That was when one was only anti-spyware (AS) the other was anti-virus (AV). Now that they have invaded each other's turfs - that's where the infighting started to the detriment of users who are reliant on free AV and AS. Worse, when the time comes they have new versions to publish, they will notify you of the stoppage of the old version updates and virtually "force" you to get their new free version w/c further aggravates the battle for PC resources and accelerates performance degradation among themselves (AV/AS programs) that causes the PC instability you mentioned. The user will always be on his "toes" as to what's happening. Furthermore, the "bad guys" (attackers, hackers, etc.) are getting more sophisticated in their techniques that the AV/AS developers are on their "toes" to find antidotes ASAP too. This is a never ending vicious cycle we have to deal with for so long as the "bad guys" continue their attacks...

The question then is: How would you know that the software you choose continues to be the most reliable and not fail you later? Or another company can come up with a claim that they are the best in the industry in accurately detecting AVs, malwares, etc. only to fade later on or become unpopular because of too many "false positive" occurrences? This is indeed tough decision to make! Even if you subscribe to a paid version, the catch is the old license expires (and support stops) and you are forced to buy a new one. How would I know that I still have the most reliable software to maintain? Is it worth your money to buy and have peace of mind, or would this give you troubles later on whether it's free or not?

This is the reason I am seeking honest opinions from independent parties not affiliated with any firm. They are not biased for or against any product. Unfortunately, they have to rely on their personal experiences as well as what others are saying about those products. Or even if a software version was found to be one of the best, that version will eventually be superseded by a new one that causes a new uncertainty as to its reliability and performance (and of course more money to spend on or worry about).

Bottom line is: I have to maintain a backup of my system and restore (not so often) when something irreparable happens. But it is also a pain to restore/re-create other programs just to update the system. This is the reason I look into independent forums like Cnet and read what they say. I can understand that AV/AS developers have to make a living. But attackers are also making a living out of this issue to the detriment of consumers like me (it's so unfair if I did not cause these problems and I was just trying to protect myself from being attacked). But these problems and worries just don't go away. Appreciate your listening to my frustrations.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.