Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can you report a website for taking over your computer

by wolf55578 / September 13, 2007 5:14 AM PDT

I was on a website and a popup came on but there was no way to close it. the site winantivirus.com came up automaticly and would not let me close it I had to go to task manager and shut down explorer. So who can you report this to?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you report a website for taking over your computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you report a website for taking over your computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No one
by Jackson Douglas / September 13, 2007 5:57 AM PDT

There's no central authority on this sort of thing, just a few sites scattered about here and there that try to keep a running list. The real problems come when a website is hacked, and instead of an obvious defacement, the perpetrator slips in a small bit of code to the website that causes it to try and install malware onto someone's system. It happened to the Bank of India not too long ago, and even more recently than that, some of Yahoo's ad servers were compromised in a similar way.

Probably the best thing you can do to help protect yourself against this sort of thing, is not use Internet Explorer. Regardless of all the various pet theories as to why it's such a popular target, it IS a popular target, so not being a part of the pool of potential victims is a good first step. Try out Firefox, Opera, and Safari... Keep 'em all, or just the one you like best, just be sure to pick one to be your permanent replacement for Internet Explorer. After that the only time you should ever be using IE is to download new security updates from Windows Update.

For various reasons, some other things you might want to consider adopting can be found in this list of suggestions I have for people in situations like yours. The more of them you follow, the fewer problems you will have.

1: Do not use Internet Explorer
1a: Replace it with your choice of Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari, or Seamonkey
2: Always install Windows security updates
2a: The lone exception to rule #1
2b: They're typically released every second Tuesday of the month
3: You should have some kind of firewall
3a: XP/Vista's firewall is good enough, routers are better, and third party firewalls are also viable options
4: Be sure to have an Anti-Virus program
4a: You can get AVG Free and Avast for free if money is an issue
5: Avoid pirated programs
6: Avoid file sharing (P2P) programs
7: Avoid using Outlook/Outlook Express
7a: Virtually any email program is safer, web email can be even better

Collapse -
Remove Winantivirus.com
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 13, 2007 6:52 AM PDT

Follow the steps in the link below to remove Winantivirus.com spyware.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic18610.html

If that doesn't get it done, then download Smitfraudfix.exe from the link below, then restart the computer into Safe Mode, then run the Smitfraudfix tool.

http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php

And once that's done, I'll reiterate some of the Jackon Douglas thoughts from above. Secure your computer.. Prevent pop ups. Harden your browser. Update you Java and Flash versions to the most recent avaialbe. Use an antispyware program regularly and try using a different browser such as Firefox, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
In addition to what Jackson said. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 13, 2007 9:43 AM PDT

If you run IE, most people don't know about the setting to allow anything to install itself. You need to kill that setting if you are going to run IE. Click Tools, Internet Options, Advanced. Scroll down to the two entries about allowing "install on demand". Uncheck'em and restart IE. Also edit the Cookies entry to block all third party cookies and ask for permission on the others. Only allow sites you trust (such as CNet) to set cookies.

In deference to Jackson's comments, I've used IE since about 1.0, have tried Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox, and others. They just don't have the feel of IE. But with a little prudance and updates, IE is safe. I've been on line since the 80s and have been hit once for the reason in the first paragraph.

Wayne

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections,
Spyware removal, and download free software.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!