Motto: Murphy's Law If anything can go wrong , it will.

Corollaries:

- Nothing is as easy as it looks.
- Everything takes longer that you think.
- Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
- Every solution breeds new problems.

Well, I was thinking about a slight modification of one of the above corolarries. Every mistake breeds other mistakes, that's what I can say by reading your story, so let's recap it in small steps.

1. You had a trojan and AVG can't delete it in ther Restore Point. The fixing solution advice was standard : purge restore points and you'll get rid of the AVG's error.

2. The next step was solving the snag which prevented the in-place repair from starting. and at this point you contacted MS

3.. The Q307545 article's procedure could solve it with the condition of having some restore points. Mistake ? Nope, oversight, it was a waste of your time and eventually money. However, technically spaeaking your PC was left in the same stage as it was the start of #3.

4. After removing the snag preventing the in-place repair, you encountered a BSOD and continously restart. At this point it was suggested a parallel installation.

Now, let's see if your kind of problems have been succesfully solved in these Forums and some other insights.

1. Instead of purging the Restore Points, one can use the Selective Restore Points deletion in Windows XP procedure.

2. Cause of the snag that preventing the in-place repair: Problems with Safe Mode

3. Here we probable have tens posters who encountered that problwm and the standard solution is Q307545. However, there are other alternatives instead of using the recovery console procedure.

4. The BSOD errors (after Q315341 - "How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP") are kernel mode drivers related causes. Windows XP SP2 fixed the inability to see the exact error (short time displaying). However, I can tell you that even with the exact error on the screen, there's a small chance to solve the problem.

What do be done now ? You have a tiny chance to get rid of BSOD trying again the in-place repair. Before launching it, remove all unnecessary external devices and disable some devices in BIOS such as integrated sound and network (if any).

Of course that a parallel install is somehow like a clean install, so you need to add the drivers for your devices and add the third party applications.

In all cases, you should enable a firewall first and later goto windows updates.

Finally, I proved that mistakes (small) breeded other mistakes, therefore another Murphy's law proof.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot