Storage forum

General discussion

Can you identify this hard disk connector?

by dnvreldrdg55 / January 10, 2010 1:32 AM PST

This is a Fujitsu HDD out of a Toshiba M45-S169.
The photo is located on my website:
This one is the HDD itself:
http://shovelheadroad.com/mhv2080ah.jpg
This one is the computer side:
http://shovelheadroad.com/pata.jpg
The system specs say it is a pata. After lots of research it looks to me
like an SCSI. Also looks like some that I have seen called blade type. The center part of the connector is flat and maybe 1 1/2" wide with 22 brass contacts on top side and probably 22 on the bottom side but I cant see the bottom to confirm. What I was looking to do is upgrade to a 120gb or 160gb hdd but I have not seen another disk with that connection. One that I think may be the same is fujitsu mhv2120ah but without actually seeing it I don't know and I can't get any of the manufacturers to reply with any help at all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you identify this hard disk connector?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you identify this hard disk connector?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably be easier if you downloaded and ran HDD Tune..
by VAPCMD / January 10, 2010 2:24 AM PST

it should tell you mfg specs including the mfg name, model number, etc., From there we can explore further.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Can you identify this hard disk connector?
by dnvreldrdg55 / January 10, 2010 6:15 AM PST

I have and it doesn't make sense to me. What I mean is the connector is not something I have seen before. The specs say it is:(P)ATA-6
(Ultra ATA 100MB/s). Of all the PATA HDD's I have seen they have the typical 40 or 44 pin connector. I have 3 Toshiba laptops and 2 of them have the 40 pin connector. The HDD I want to replace works fine, it's just full. I have an external 160gb seagate hdd which I have used to make a clone so I'm thinking about just formatting the one I'm wanting to replace and just putting the OS on it. Then I can use the external disk for everything else. That would free up a lot of space on the internal one. Not what I wanted or I should say not what my wife wanted,lol but she may have to deal with it unless I find a larger hdd with that odd looking connection. I have ask Toshiba, Fujitsu and Hitachi for some assistance but no luck.

Collapse -
If you're asking for HELP.... and asked to furnish
by VAPCMD / January 10, 2010 8:38 AM PST

further info ... it's to your benefit to provide it. Also would have been helpful had you mentioned it was from a laptop or a laptop HDD.

The PICs you provided are too small to pinpoint the parts and unless the drive has 50 pins ... it isn't SCSI.

Reserving further comment pending receipt of requested info.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
That's part of a laptop caddy system.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2010 7:11 AM PST

Too bad you didn't tell if that was from a laptop. It looks familiar but I can't recall the last time I saw it. The hard drive is a stock IDE interface but this is part of the caddy adapter.

Wish that you told a little more and had a HD picture to share.
BOb

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.