Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can you help me with my browser?

I am having difficulty with my Interent Explorer. I am running 6.0. Some web pages do not load at all and some only partially do. I sell on ebay and certain pages when listing do not have everything on them that it should. If a web page has a button to click on sometimes the button doesn't work depending on the page. I tried to go to the microsoft windows update page but it loads blank and then says done on the bottom left of the browser. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you help me with my browser?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you help me with my browser?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can you help me with my browser?

In reply to: Can you help me with my browser?

You can try to repair your browser by going to Add=Remove programs if it's listed there...just click Remove and you will get three options in a window to Repair, Remove, or Add Components. Choose Repair. If it's not listed then try the following instead:

REPAIR TOOL FOR IE6 WHEN IT ISN'T IN ADD\REMOVE PROGRAMS...go to RUN, copy and paste the command below......

For W98X (and possibly ME):

C:\Windows\RUNDLL32.EXE setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

For W2K (and possibly XP but instead of W2Kexcp.exe look for the xp file):

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Uninstall Information\W2KEXCP.EXE /u

Run that and you'll see the options to repair and other options.

FOR XP, do the following:
Repair Internet Explorer 6
A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.
Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

TONI

Collapse -
Just a comment. IEFIX ...

In reply to: Re: Can you help me with my browser?

Collapse -
Re: Can you help me with my browser?

In reply to: Can you help me with my browser?

This article [Q316894] is part 1 of a series of four articles that explain how to troubleshoot Internet browsing issues in Microsoft Windows, covers the following topics, and provides a hyperlink for the remaining series:

a. I get a message saying "The page cannot be displayed."

b. Web pages don't "show pictures" or play sound.

c. My browser doesn't start at the page I want.

Note: First, just be sure you have no utilities which has been installed to lock the home page

(1) "HijackThis" is a general homepage hijacker, detector, and remover which you may be using, (Config, Main, Below URLs will be . . ).

(2) "Spybot Search&Destroy v1.3" has a lock (Tools, IE tweeks, middle box check).

d. Web sites don't remember me.

e. Internet Explorer crashes.

Note: Download and use "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP):

(1) Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

(2) Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Note:

"Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

"How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q31837Cool"

(3) Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

f. I get a message saying You are not authorized to view this page.

g. I need to view a Web page when I can't go on line.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.