Laptops forum

General discussion

Can you help? Do I need to add a graphics card?

by pezzle87 / August 22, 2009 8:58 AM PDT

I am thinking of buying the Dell inspiron 1545. It has a Intel core 2 duo T6500 processor, 3GB memory and 250GB hard drive. I want to use the computer for Univeristy work and general surfing but would like to play the occasional game like The Sims of Monkey Island. Should I pay the extra

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you help? Do I need to add a graphics card?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you help? Do I need to add a graphics card?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
at least upgrade the graphics
by jonquilmcd / August 25, 2009 5:02 PM PDT

IMHO an upgrade from integrated to dedicated graphics is always a good if not necessary investment when you're wanting to actually play games on your system. Games tend to lag up bad on systems with even the best integrated graphics, mostly because during game play both the central processor and the graphics processor are trying to use the same memory. The battery upgrade would be nice but I would consider it to be more optional than the graphics upgrade. What I would spring for instead of the battery upgrade is a memory upgrade to 4GB as you won't be able to utilize dual channel with 3GB and that will affect your system performance significantly.

Collapse -
Always a trade.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2009 9:02 PM PDT

For my laptop use the integrated GPUs are doing fine. For example my kid plays all games on the fairly current Intel 4500MHD chip in his bargain laptop. Intel has come a long way and this chipset has been a surprise entry in my book. It also meets that balance between battery time and gaming.

Having said that, the usual gamer would not want that but get a dedicated memory and GPU.
Bob

Collapse -
A must..
by krush87 / August 26, 2009 12:54 AM PDT

Yes. Do get urself a graphic card. It takes the load of the CPU and the RAM when u get a dedicated ones rather than the integrated. IMO why don't u get a studio 1555 rather than the inspiron? for me it's a lot better all around than the inspiron with the same price range..

Collapse -
think before u buy
by krush87 / August 26, 2009 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: A must..

when u buy a laptop, u must take things into consideration. A laptop is by any means almost impossible to modify. It's hard to upgrade the CPU, the graphics and so on. It's best that u invest more so that u can use it for a long time. Yeah u may say this is okay because i'm using it for only this and that. But think, in 1 year or 2, your spec will cause major lag to your everyday experience. If it was me i would suggest you to invest more and get a better one. One with better CPU and better graphics. Invest on studio 1555 or Studio XPS 16. Get a good Processor such as the p8700 or t9600.

Collapse -
Thanks
by pezzle87 / August 26, 2009 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: think before u buy

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it. I opted for the upgrade, think it was the most cost effective thing to do to make it useable for longer. My first choice was the 1555 but I didn't have the budget for that and the inspiron was on offer, got

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?