Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Can you have several spyware programs on your computer?

by Big Steve / March 4, 2007 11:13 AM PST

I've been told to avoid conflict that you should have only 1 anti-virus program on your computer. When it comes to spyware can you have more than one spyware program installed on your computer?

Does anyone with a Windows PC have Windows Defender installed on their computer and if so is it any good? A syndicated article in my local paper today written by a techno geek recommended owners of computers having Windows XP to install Windows Defender.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
03/04/07

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you have several spyware programs on your computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you have several spyware programs on your computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Big Steve
by tomron / March 4, 2007 12:26 PM PST

The rule of thumb is one anti virus and one firewall.If more then one AV is installed make sure only one is active,same goes for a firewall.

You can have more then one anti spyware,in fact it is a good idea to do so since one may catch that another misses.I use
AVG ANTI SPYWARE

I do not have Windows Defender cause I don't like MS products.

Tom

Collapse -
Re: Hi Big Steve
by Big Steve / March 4, 2007 12:35 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Big Steve

Thank you for your post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
03/04/07

Collapse -
(NT) Your welcome,thanx for posting back
by tomron / March 4, 2007 12:54 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Hi Big Steve
Collapse -
Yes you may, but..
by awiekupo / March 4, 2007 12:43 PM PST

Couldn't agree more with Tom. It is a good security measures to have more than 1 anti spyware program on your computer. Please take note that it also depend on your computer specification. For an old computer set, running too many spyware removal application might slow down the performance. Therefore I wont advise to use too many spyware software on old PC set. Plus, you also need to spend more time to update each anti spyware tool from time to time (eg, update spyware definition file, fixes, patches, etc).

Collapse -
Re: Yes you may, but..
by Big Steve / March 4, 2007 12:58 PM PST
In reply to: Yes you may, but..

I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 notebook with Windows XP which will be 1 year old in about 3 weeks. It has an anti-virus software program called Panda Platinum 2006 installed; this I'm not clear about because I didn't set this up but I believe the firewall with Panda Platinum is "disabled" while the firewall in Windows XP is "enabled" or it may be the other way around.

I run a scan with Panda each night before I shut the notebook down. A few months ago I downloaded a free version of AVG anti-spyware software which I also run a scan each night and that's basically it. You advise not to load a computer down with too many spyware programs. Do I have enough or should I add something else and what would you recommend? Thanks for your post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
03/04/07

Collapse -
Big Steve
by tomron / March 4, 2007 2:08 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Yes you may, but..

I would suggest SPYWARE BLASTER,which is not a scanner,but rather a preventer.

===================

If your concerned with overloading the computer,maybe disabling unnecessary services may lessing the load,click HERE

Tom

====================

Cleaning might also help,How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

===================

I use CCLEANER which cleans cookies,temp files,invalid entries in the registry,etc,this LINK will explain.

There three versions available,I use the slim version with out yahoo tool bar.

Tom

Collapse -
Big Steve, Tomron's advice is good.
by Paul C / March 4, 2007 6:21 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Yes you may, but..

Just let me add some things.

I too run Spyware Blaster and really like it. That's what's known as a terminate and stay resident (TSR) program; that is, it stays running regardless of whether it is opened for updates, etc. You should run more than one anti-malware program, as each one scans a little differently. For example, I run AVG Anti-Spyware and Spybot as well as Spyware Blaster. However, you should NOT run more than one of these in a full time background mode, as that will often cause system slowdowns and additional possible system instability.

Of course, the usual caution applies; you MUST keep all these programs properly updated, or else they're basically useless.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?