Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Can you edit in Premier or avid with format from DH cameras?

by allankayak / March 1, 2007 1:34 AM PST

I am wondering if it is possible to download from a Hard drive Camera, edit with Premier or Avid etc,, then export to DVD software and burn,

I am trying to find out if the format of mpeg 2 will carry through the editing and DVD authoring, therefor removing any render or encoding time.

I have heard that this would be possible, if the Editing software is able to edit the raw footage file format without the need to render.

I guess the question is, if this is possible, which camera are recommended?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you edit in Premier or avid with format from DH cameras?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you edit in Premier or avid with format from DH cameras?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes...
by whizkid454 / March 1, 2007 5:15 AM PST

You can edit video from a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) camcorder in Premier Elements 3 and depending on which version of Avid you are considering, you would be able to as well.

Many will argue this, but: Are you one who prefers quality over convenience or convenience over quality? Once chosen, by how much is it important to you? Is there any special requirements needed (mic-in jack, HD, etc.)? Your budget? All of these are necessary in order to pick out the best camcorder for your specific needs.

An answer to these questions will also show the format you should get.

Collapse -
mpeg2 cannot be edited directly. It must be converted to an
by Kiddpeat / March 1, 2007 5:23 AM PST

intermediate form for editing. The video editor should do this for you, but you cannot then escape the rendering process. That is one big reason that mpeg2 is inferior when used as an input to the edit process. The video gets compressed and rendered twice.

Collapse -
My needs are -
by allankayak / March 1, 2007 6:19 PM PST

What I want to do, is film an adventure activity at an outdoor center - A raft trip, the film would be about 20 mins long and have an intro.

When the trip and guests get back to base I want to present the movie on a screen by the time they have had a shower, then offer them DVDs to buy.

Right now we would have to post the DVD, as capture time, DVD format time is going to be a hour or so.

We do not need the best quality in the world. Just speed. But if mp2 cannot be edited directly, even with a HDD camera I still have render (instead of capture) time, then DVD build time.

Another idea is to get a 'firestore' mobile hard drive thing that you plug into your camera and records the footage directly to edit format, then you plug it in back at base, edit and show, but you still have DVD build time.

Any other Ideas?

Collapse -
Typically....
by ChrisJBSC / March 2, 2007 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: My needs are -

You will want to film about 5-10 times what you need to make a good movie. It will also take about 20 times as long to edit it as the final movie.

SO, if the raft trip takes 20 minutes, you will want to make a 4-minute movie, which will take you about an hour and a half to edit. Longer if you are adding your own audio tracks.

Transfer time is 20 mins on the front, but only about 5 mins to the DVD at the end.

Collapse -
and if you need to add titles, credits
by boya84 / March 2, 2007 8:37 AM PST
In reply to: Typically....

or other stuff, that will take a little time as well.

For the end credits, you could use a canned one that just sticks at the end - has guide names, facilities/services provided by, rafts by, etc... that way you don't need to make it new every time and all the typos will be gone.

But you might consider customizing the opening credits with the date and river - I'd suggest the rafter's names, but you don't want to get stuck with a typo in there. More typing means more potential for credits.

Keep them simple - plain old Arial type face - ok, use bold... scrolling or fade in/out.

Collapse -
Going off track
by allankayak / March 2, 2007 9:05 AM PST

OK, I hear ya, thanks for replies.

I am up to date with how to edit etc, I us FCP and can also 'film to edit' So my footage is 9%0 as I want it, I just need to stick it on a time line that already has an intro and audio on it, then trim a few bits here and there. Total editing time will be max 10 mins.

The issue I have is DVD build time - I haven't found a way to format the DVD build in '5 minutes' right now I use a MAC core duo Macbookpro, 2gb, 2.something ghz and DVD Studio Pro, and even single pass VBR takes ages on 25 minutes of footage.

Thats the bit I need info on.

Capture = mobile HD plugged into Camera, sorted
Edit = no problem
Export =no problem
DVD authoring = No problem
DVD build = PROBLEM!!! <<<<<<<<
DVD Burn = no problem

HUmm,

More ideas?

Collapse -
A supercomputer??
by whizkid454 / March 2, 2007 10:13 AM PST
In reply to: Going off track

Sorry, but it takes a LONG time to get a DVD ready for burning. Even the fastest processor in a Mac is a 2.66GHz Dual Xeon chip (Mac Pro) which still takes some time to "build" the DVD. It's just something we will have to wait for in both the PC and Mac world, faster (and more) processors! Perhaps let it run overnight or while you're out? Hope this helps.

Collapse -
thanks
by allankayak / March 2, 2007 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: A supercomputer??

Thanks, that is what I was after.

Conformation, of what I thought. I usually do a build overnight, but the boss wants DVDs out sooner.

I will let him see this forum,

Thanks all for help, will just have to wait for a new technology that can put full movies on a disc at full quality ,,,,,

Collapse -
In Sony Vegas...
by whizkid454 / March 2, 2007 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: thanks

There is support for multiple processors which is extremely beneficial to get faster rendering. I can render a one hour video in about one hour (+-10 mins) with a Pentium D 820, 1GB DDR2-533, ext. 250GB WD HDD. The whole computer basically freezes, but I just walk away and do something else and when I come back, Voila, it's ready. I'm not sure if FCP or iMovie are multi-processor capable (boya84?), but that will definitely decrease your rendering time to the hard drive. DVD Architect (comes with Vegas) does the DVD authoring and building so I'm not sure why Kiddpeat said Vegas does the rendering, DVD Architect does the real "DVD building" part of the job.

I want to clarify, allankayak, that you are having problems with the process after the video is rendered in FCP/iMovie?

Collapse -
Ummmmmm, the rendering is done in Vegas. Rendering means the
by Kiddpeat / March 2, 2007 1:35 PM PST
In reply to: In Sony Vegas...

Vegas project (video, audio, photos, etc.) is rendered to the appropriate file format such as mpeg2, and it's Vegas that has the multiprocessor support. It's possible for DVD Architect to rerender if you haven't done the rendering properly in Vegas. However, Architect usually just builds the DVD image to be burned, and performs the burning. Those jobs are quick if the video rendering is already complete.

BTW, Architect does not process a veg file, so it's hard to see how you are passing a project to it without performing the render in Vegas.

Collapse -
Sony Vegas can render pretty much as fast as you want, or so
by Kiddpeat / March 2, 2007 10:29 AM PST

I've heard. You would, however, need two or more fast Windows machines. Vegas can parcel rendering tasks out to other machines on a network. That's parallel processing. Get enough machines, and you just might have a supercomputer.

Collapse -
Since you are using
by boya84 / March 3, 2007 1:33 AM PST

a laptop - even though it is a pretty current one, the only way to decrease your render-time is to increase the CPU speed. The only way to increase the CPU speed is to get a machine optimized for what you want to do - and that would be to get a current MacPro tower for the rendering.

Collapse -
Will Macs overclock?
by whizkid454 / March 3, 2007 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: Since you are using

I'm not saying allankayak should do this, but if things needed to be done faster and they don't want to get a new computer, overclocking would be the best bet to increase the clock speed therefore decreasing rendering time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?