Windows 7 forum

Question

Can you delete the Adobe popups

by Amos16 / July 28, 2013 3:56 AM PDT

Hello - There is a recent occurrence on my computer (it has windows 7 pro) of a popup that appears on almost every site I enter. A black square of varying size appears somewhere on the screen - usually near the printed space of my page but sometimes in the middle of it - declaring that "this plugin is vulnerable and should be updated. Check for updates... Activate Adobe Flash". When I do it, the screen fills with ads and promos of varying sizes, none of it related to my text. If I don't, the black space stays there preventing me from using the screen as I see fit. Some very few have a "delete" or "close" space, there is no way of doing that on all the others. Is there anyone who can tell me how to get rid of this bother? Thanks - Amos

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you delete the Adobe popups
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you delete the Adobe popups
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: popup
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 28, 2013 5:18 PM PDT

I'd go to www.adobe.com and download the latest version of Flash for your browser. If it installs OK, it's good. If there is some error installing it, run their removal tool first.

But it could be you have some malware in your browser also. Then updating Flash won't help.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Agree with Kees
by mchainmchain / July 28, 2013 7:29 PM PDT

One possible way to stop/block the nuisance from appearing may be to use this browser add-on: https://adblockplus.org/en/chrome

Works in Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. Just select the appropriate browser Icon if different from Chrome.

Did that work for you?

Collapse -
Let's see
by Amos16 / July 29, 2013 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Agree with Kees

Hi mchainmchain - Have decided to go whole hog and try your solution before that of Kees (who is very knowledgeable as I know from past instances).
shall try for a few days and then report back. Thanks.

Collapse -
Appears as if issue is something installed in browser
by mchainmchain / July 31, 2013 8:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Let's see

This tool will clean your browser(s) of PUP's and unwanted toolbars, as well as other nasties: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Choose delete (can select what not to delete) after first running the program, and report back. It is safe to use and works well. Adblock Plus will not be affected by running this program.

Use either the bleeping computer download or the author's site to use his direct link to download.

PUP: Possible Unwanted Program This sort of program can be used for good or bad, up to you to keep or remove. I don't run or install them, so....

Collapse -
Answer
Can you delete the Adobe popups
by livepcexpert7 / July 31, 2013 5:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
almost done
by Amos16 / July 31, 2013 5:05 PM PDT

thank you livepcexpert7. Have run malwarebytes, with zero results. Am now testing adblockplus as advised earlier, and it seems to work. Shall try it for a few more days and then if it is not satisfactory will try the other solutions suggested above including yours

Collapse -
Answer
Are you using FF? Is this what the popup looks like?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 1, 2013 2:18 AM PDT

Amos..

Is this the Adobe popup you're referring to? IF so, see the below page:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/why-do-i-have-click-activate-plugins

I would keep Adblock Plus, as Mchainmchain suggested. It's well worth the price you (don't) pay.

I would also make sure Adobe Flash Player is current, as Kees suggested.

To verify the Adobe Flash Player version installed, go to the About Flash Player page, or right-click on content running in Flash Player and select "About Adobe Flash Player" from the menu. If you're not using Firefox, test it with whichever browser/s you do use.

If the Flash Player version installed is anything other than v11.8.800.94, Flash Player is NOT current. (See the Security Bulletin released on July 9th) You can find additional Flash Player links in this post, if needed.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Thanks, Carol
by Amos16 / August 3, 2013 7:43 PM PDT

There was unfortunately nothing under "is this what it looks like". So I can't tell. But what if I update Flash player and then my screen is inundated with ads? So far the suggestion by machainmchain seems to work except perhaps once in a blue moon (nothing except three popups in more than a hundred sites). So am still waiting to see if I really need to do anything else.

Collapse -
Re: Carol
by mchainmchain / August 3, 2013 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Carol

Please follow Carol's advice.

Just running an obsolete and vulnerable version of Adobe Flash can cause the issues you have seen. Which is why one should always only run the latest version and make it a point keep it updated, the next day, if possible. Not something one should put off.

AdBlock Plus will keep off the unwanted ads, malicious ads, and also prevent those pop-ups that say "You are infected, (you must) click me". The latter is notorious for rogue antivirus installations and more. If you do that, it is you that is installing the rogue software, and now you will have serious problems. You can't click on what you don't see. You now have more protection here than you may realize. Certainly it is more than you had before.

While you are at it, also install this browser add-on: (Works in FF, Chrome, Safari and more) http://www.mywot.com/en/download

You will be able to make safer and more intelligent decisions about what sites you choose to visit.

Collapse -
Re : 'is this what it looks like?'
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 3, 2013 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Carol

Amos..

I'm not quite sure why you're unable to access Adobe's image. But the same ones are also included in the link I posted just underneath it, where I wrote "see the below page".

Scroll down to "How click to activate works" here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/why-do-i-have-click-activate-plugins

Are you using Firefox? Is it the popup you were referring to? IF so, it's legitimate. I hesitate mentioning it, as so many alerts and warnings look like "the real deal", when in fact they're not. I'm only offering it as an explanation IF it's what you're seeing.

Mchainmchain has answered your question, "But what if I update Flash player and then my screen is inundated with ads?". All I can think to add ..... for security reasons, if you don't update Flash to its current version, you may find yourself with more than unwanted ads. In other words, unwanted ads might be the least of your problems.

Carol

Collapse -
Hi Carol
by Amos16 / August 5, 2013 12:53 AM PDT

It is a tall order, what you and the other posters ask me to do, especially since I really have still no idea what it is that "it looks like". But there is sufficient material for me to go on, I guess, even without seeing the exact replica of the black rectangles. For now I am really out of the sea, as they have disappeared except for the single one that seldom is there. But I shall definitely heed your warnings and do whatever required. Oh yes, I do use FF. Thanks again - Amos.

Collapse -
Why Adobe?
by Amos16 / August 6, 2013 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Carol

Carol, I just finished reading the 11 pages of print that was the amount of advice given me. I found the elusive black rectangle in one of your links, and of course it is the one that bothered me. It seems gone now, but here and there I find popups that remind me to keep my Flash Adobe updated. Now the question that remains is: why do I need Adobe at all, and especially Adobe Flash? What good does it do? How is it that it has never before come to my notice (I have been using computers since the DOS times) and now that it does it seems to make nothing but trouble? Can I delete it and still use the computer? I mean for my primary purpose which is academic papers in several languages? I would be grateful for a reply that tells me just a little more than yes or no. - Amos

Collapse -
Re: Adobe
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 6, 2013 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Why Adobe?

Adobe makes a pdf-reader (Adobe Reader), but you can use other ones like that from Foxit software or Nitro.

Adobe makes Flash player. You need if the site you visit uses Flash it to show you something. It's quite common.

Adobe makes Air player. You need it if the site you visit uses Air to show you something. It's rather new and rather rare.

Oracle makes Java. You need it if the site you visit uses Java to show you something. It's getting rare.

Microsoft makes Silverlight. You need it if the you visit uses Silverlight to show you something. It's not uncommon.

Kees

Collapse -
Options..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 6, 2013 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Why Adobe?

Amos..

You asked for a reply which 'tells you a little more than yes or no'. Kees took it into consideration and gave you an excellent response. Or at least in my opinion he did.

You asked if you needed Flash Player. I first thought to suggest uninstalling it to see how much of a difference it made in your case. If you decide you wish (or need) to keep it, you may have to uninstall it anyway. (See below)

You haven't shared which version is presently installed. IF it's not the current version, it's probably best to uninstall the older version, prior to installing v11.8.800.94.

Read one persons observations, after going without it (as an experiment) for a day. No fears! It's no where near 11 pages. "Do I need Flash Player"

Uninstall Flash Player
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

Please keep in mind, due to Flash Player's exploitable vulnerabilities it has to be keep current. This holds true for whichever browsers you have installed. Updating Firefox doesn't update Flash in Internet Explorer.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Answer
Amos. Sure, why not uninstall this thing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2013 3:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Kees, Carol and Bob
by Amos16 / August 7, 2013 4:06 AM PDT

Thank you so much for bothering with what may have seem to you a self-evident question. Bob, thanks for the cartoons, I am sure they make the life of a Moderator a little more pleasant, and since I have read you for what must be close on 20 years it must be (without some fun) very dull reading and answering all of us ignoramuses. I shall now do some head-scratching and make up my mind. Thanks also to mchainmchain who was first in this series of dialogues to point me in what seemed to me the right direction. By the way, the version of Flash I have had on my computer is 11.8.800 (I think the last figure was 94 but am not sure). May I close this thread now, with the permission of the Moderators? Amos

Collapse -
(NT) Sure. Thanks for asking about Adobe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2013 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Kees, Carol and Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.