Camcorders forum

General discussion

Can you connect two Mini Dv Camcorders together ?

by andres123456 / September 29, 2005 5:28 PM PDT

Hello everyone that read this, do you know how to interconnect two mini dv camcorders together by the firewire port? This is my situation, I?m a skydiver and I wear my camera to jump, and the people that I jump with also wears theirs, the problem we face is that since we wear the cameras on our helmets basically we film the other people no yourself so we are trying to find the best way to connect the two cameras together, so we can get the other people footage. I?ve already purchased the firewire cable 4 to 4 pin but don?t know how to do it.

Thanks for the help and blue skies

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you connect two Mini Dv Camcorders together ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you connect two Mini Dv Camcorders together ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No. Such is not supported in today's models.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2005 11:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
beg to differ
by MotionPixels / September 30, 2005 3:23 AM PDT

apparently my Canon ZR400 can do this. Manual says connecting another camcorder via DV cable (IEEE 1394/Firewire) is possible. Mine has a DV In/Out setting in the menu.
Manual also suggest it would be possible via the AV cable.
Says it might not work for all devices but does say to try powering off and back on if picture fails to show in case it actually can work.

Collapse -
Let's hope.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: beg to differ

I've yet to see this work at the trade shows.

Usually they mean by DV-IN is from some host computer. I'd love to see you be able to duplicate DV content with 2 camcorders this way.

Collapse -
if I had another I could try it
by MotionPixels / September 30, 2005 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's hope.

the manual has an illustration of what looks like two ZR400's being connected.
This could be something limited to only certain models, since they worded it in a way that made it sound possible but not always guaranteed to do it.

Collapse -
Thanks a lot
by andres123456 / September 30, 2005 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: beg to differ

I will give it a try. thanks for the fast response

Collapse -
Sure you can. Every camcorder I've seen says DV is IN/OUT.
by Kiddpeat / September 30, 2005 8:42 AM PDT

Put both machines in VCR mode after connecting the firewire cable. Press play on one and record on the other. There should be a record button near the play button for the VCR function. Be sure the tape has not been rewound, or you will record over your original material.

Some may need you to set the DV mode to IN or OUT, but I think that's usually automatic.

Collapse -
This I can try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 9:33 AM PDT

I have a pair of identical JVC GR-DV500J's, a 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable, but the menu is not cooperating.

How this would help as you are plummeting to the ground isn't clear to me but it certainly could distract from what's going on around you. Now if only you had a laptop and boot Windows at the same time?

Collapse -
by MotionPixels / September 30, 2005 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: This I can try.

ha ha ha! I can see how you might have been thinking of this before.
I read the original question as being after the skydive so they could give each other their recordings immediately rather than later on.
I did think for a moment that the question might be about connecting them while falling through the air but figured that would be too difficult so maybe that wasn't the idea.
Given enough time and dexterity of the skydivers though, maybe it could be done anyway. I'd be too worried about watching my height above ground. Heck, I'd never skydive to begin with!

Collapse -
hey Thanks a lot
by andres123456 / September 30, 2005 5:53 PM PDT

I was sure there should be a way
I'm goind to jump tomorrow and I'll let you guys know

thank again

Collapse -
IT WORKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by andres123456 / October 1, 2005 5:45 PM PDT

Kiddpeat You were right!!!! I did what you told me and it worked perfect, I was able to transfer video from one camcorder to the other back and forward, it was as simple as you told me.

Thanks a Lot

Collapse -
Cool! I love it when a plan comes together.
by Kiddpeat / October 2, 2005 6:50 PM PDT

Hannibal Hayes.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?