HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

Can you change time/date stamp on a camera XD memory card ?

by zippykp / September 18, 2008 8:30 AM PDT

09-18-08
(Again I've wasted too much time trying to find an answer elsewhere.)

After a battery charge for my Fuji E550, I've sometimes failed to correctly set the time/date stamp.

I DO know how reset the stamp on picture files once they've been downloaded to my hard drive. I usually catch the problem quickly, and reset the camera date/time functions. Unfortunately, some pictures get by with the wrong stamp imbedded.

The thing is that I swear I had been able to change the time/date on the actual camera card files previous to their download, via a process using the Fine Pix viewer (software?).

The old procedure, explained next, no longer works:

The camera, containing the memory card, is connected to my computer (windows xp) and appears as G:. I use the "open by FinePix" command to open its Fuji_100 folder. After highlighting the misdated files, I use the drop down menu beneath "file" and select "batch process". After choosing "change the time/date", a small box opens on the screen and a blue bar slowly fills as if the adjustment process was actually working. After the blue bar fills, the window closes and disappears; but when I check the files again, I see the time/date remains unchanged.

So, how can I again change the time/date stamp on the camera card itself? I'm presently using a Fuji XP 1G card instead of the 512. Would size difference be a factor?

I don't know if a newer version of FinePix software is in play, automatically updated since the original was downloaded when I bought the camera in 2005. If so, might it now omit the option to change the camera card itself as the old version did?

I know this seems very specific to Fuji, whom I contacted first awhile ago, but hasn't replied. I've given up googling key words. Can this dilemma be answered in a general sense, with other software or by any other Fuji users?

Thank you very much, Zippy
------------------------------------------------------------------Also: while googling I?ve seen shareware that claims to add time/date info to developed prints. Does that mean to the picture side, or to the back of them?? Thanks again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can you change time/date stamp on a camera XD memory card ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can you change time/date stamp on a camera XD memory card ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, it's part of the EXIF information
by zippykp / September 19, 2008 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Is that in the EXIF?

09-19-08
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I actually had to look up what EXIF meant and, in so doing, reluctantly got a better understanding of camera workings, which is what this site is all about afterall. EXIF were the missing letters in all my fruitless searches for a pertinent solution.

I found that I am referring to the time/date that is part of that body of information imbedded into each photo as it's taken.

I also got the impression that not all digital cameras added EXIF particulars to picture files. I can't really imagine a halfway decent camera omitting the capability today, but would I have to pay careful attention to my next camera purchase for that feature?

The FinePix still reads the card's EXIF info, and I'm sure used to be able to change it directly to the card.

After eight pages of link reading, I did find one company that offers shareware that might do what I'd like. I sent a message to them last night to see their time/date change procedure would work directly on files still stored on the memory chip itself, BEFORE I downloaded the picture files to my computer. If not, I'll keep plugging along.

Thank you for your help. Zippy

Collapse -
EXIF
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 7:58 AM PDT

All digital cameras I have seen, do have EXIF information embedded in the photo file.

However .... if you use some photo manipulation software on the photo file, it might delete the EXIF information.

One Example: Photoshop Elements, If you use "Save for Web" option when saving - it will strip out all of the EXIF information in the "Save for Web" file it creates.

Collapse -
Thanks
by zippykp / September 20, 2008 12:50 PM PDT
In reply to: EXIF

09-20-08
Hi,
Thanks for that warning. As I was wallowing through information just trying to learn about the concept of EXIF, I did see some caveats, but not that one.

I have downloaded the files to my hard drive and will be placing them onto DVD or CD, so the originals are safe.

I just have a bug to correct the memory card itself.

Thanks again. Zippy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.