General discussion

can wireless router be hardwired?

I see in todays sales a BELKIN 802.11g router for $9.99 after rebate, and a NETGEAR 802.11g router FOR $19.99 after rebate.

QUESTION... Can either of these be HARDWIRED to use as hardware FIREWALL?

ONLY use is to be a firewall, not on any network. Is one better than the other?

I do not want anything wireless on my computer, but don't see wired routers advertized anymore.

Thanks

Ben

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: can wireless router be hardwired?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: can wireless router be hardwired?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
All the routers I've seen. . .

are both. They just advertise them as wireless as a perk. Are you sure these routers don't have wired ports on the back? Have you looked?

Since you didn't give the model numbers this is all I can say.

- Collapse -
True, but...

All the wireless routers I've seen also have at least 4 wired ports in back. I'm using 2 of mine in addition to the wireless signals. However, even if you didn't have a wireless receiver in the area, the wireless router would still be sending out signals unless you broke the antenna off or were able to disable the wireless function in the router setup. Or so it would seem to me.

- Collapse -
is one better

Thanks cgarrity & Coryphaeus,

I haven't looked at them, it is a 60 mile round trip to the store and didn't want to waste a trip if they wouldn't work.

I also would want to disable the wireless portion.

Is one router better than the other?

- Collapse -
Router. . .

I have a complete D-link system. Modem, router, PCI NICs, and a PCMCIA wireless NIC for my laptop. Zero problems, great support, free updates.

Whatever you get, DO NOT mix and match. This can cause headaches. A matched system will recognize each component and self configure.

Good luck,

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about internet
connections and data, and download free software.

Suppose you were an idiot. . . And suppose you were a member of Congress. . . But I repeat myself.
--Mark Twain

- Collapse -
Can Wireless router be "hardwired"

Yes. I think most if not all Wireless routers have at least 4 ports on the back to use 'wired' ethernet connections. Since you say you don't want to use the wireless features, yes, you want/need to turn off/disable as much of the wireless side as possible.

That would mean you want to disable broadcast of the router SSID, use MAC filtering, and set up the WEP encryption. This doesn't really 'turn off' the wireless features, but it DOES make it harder for any of your neighbors to 'borrow' your network without your knowledge. The owner manual would tell you how to set these things.

You would probably need to access the rounter setup pages anyway to set firewall settings. By the way, "Breaking off the antenna" is NOT a wise thing. It would likely still be able to send and recieve wireless signals (though not as good), plus it would void the warantee. Not a smart move.

If you plan on driving the 60 miles to get a Wireless router, check the store for the regular wired only routers. I think these are still common. Stores are just pushing the Wireless as the next "must have" trend. Wired routers are likely about the same price anyway, and you wouldn't have to mess with the Wireless functions. But keep in mind that you limit yourself from any ability to add wireless in the future without buying the wireless router. So think: "Is there a chance I would want to switch to wireless in the future?"

I have a Belkin 802.11B wireless router with 4 port switch (4 wired ports in back). That is in addition to a 4 port wired router with a built in print server and backup com port that I already had. I have read on these forums that Dlink and Linksys both usually need Firmware upgrades as soon as you get it home. I have not read that about the Belkin routers. It is always wise to immediately check for firmware updates on any new equipment you buy. You never know how long that particular piece of equipment has been sitting on a store shelf while changes to the firmware are made.

Hope this helps you decide.

Larry

- Collapse -
RE: Wireless vs. Wired

I failed to mention a couple of other things.

1) I don't think you are actually able to TURN OFF the wireless features of the wireless router. What would the purpose be to make or buy a wireless router, only to turn off the wireless features ??? The best you would be able to do is to set up the wireless with the best security you can. A) Disable broadcast of SSID. B) CHANGE the SSID from the default (I forgot to mention this in the earlier message) C) Use MAC filtering D) Set up the WEP/WAP encryption to toughest level. (There might be something else I am forgetting still)

2) Regarding compatibility, you CAN mix-and-match components--for the most part. I have a Motorola cable modem, an Asante 4-port Ethernet router, a Belkin 802.11B wireless router, Dlink NIC's for the computers, and I fogot what kind of 802.11B wireless USB adapter. All get along fine (except I accidently deleted the drivers for the USB wireless adapter, and I can't find the driver disk, and I don't know who makes it). When you get into the wireless aspects of the hardware, you need to pay attention to the different 802.11 protocols. 802.11B was first (I think). I don't remember the transmit speeds, but it has a range of only about 150 feet, sometimes less depending on the type of material it is trying to transmit through (the walls, floors, metel or wood). 802.11A was next, but not compatible with 802.11B. The 801.11A either had better range, or speed. I don't remember which. It doesn't seem to have caught on as well.

Then came 802.11G , with better range and speed than the 802.11B. But it is also backward compatible with 802.11B (like Win98 was compatible with Win95). But when used together, 802.11G will only run as fast as the 802.11B could run. AND some of the 802.11G makers add extra features that only work with equipment they make. Read feature lists carefully.

Finally, there is a pending standard, I think they are going to call it 802.11N. You might hear of a product being "pre-N". I'm not sure if these features are compatible with 'regular' 802.11G features or not. At best, they might be only partially compatibe, like between 802.11B and 802.11G.

So there you have it (I think).

- Collapse -
You can disable wireless

I have an SMC router, you can disable the wireless component in the router software(usually by entering 192.168.0.1, 192.168.100.1, 192.168.2.1).
It'll ask you to sign in and your router should have came with papers and it'll tell you what the username + password is, log in and you can change whatever you want in there.

- Collapse -
Thanks very much to all....

I don't anticipate ever wanting wireless. I have only one desktop computer.

The wireless routers are on sale, $9.99 after rebate, and $19.99 after rebate.

The last time I looked, the regular price for a wired router was various prices OVER $50.

Appreciate all the advice.

Thanks

Ben

CNET Forums

Forum Info