HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Can Windows XP and Mac OS X be networked to HP Photosmart ?

by Jansetau / September 6, 2008 2:23 PM PDT

Hi all.

I have been running Win XP SP3 linked to an HP 2410 PSC Photosmart all-in-one for some time now but recently I have been given an Apple Mac (eMac) installed with OS X Leopard and wish to network the lot so that both OS can use the printer.

Is this possible?

The 2410 is conneted to the Win XP box via USB2 connection. There are no free USB ports on the 2410.

All help appreciated.

Regards

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can Windows XP and Mac OS X be networked to HP Photosmart ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can Windows XP and Mac OS X be networked to HP Photosmart ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To figure this out I went to the manuals for the printer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 11:37 PM PDT
Collapse -
Can Windows XP and Mac OS X be networked to HP Photosmart
by Jansetau / September 7, 2008 1:18 AM PDT

Hi there.

Thank you for the quick reply.

To answer your question, no I have not tried anything as yet as I only got my eMac yesterday and at the moment I know nothing about Macs. I am still stumbling along.

My post was to ascertain if this type of connection was possible, and your reply would suggest that it is.

I will check out your link and hopefully digest your suggestion tomorrow ( 11pm here). I will have to fathom out your suggested installation as I have not heard of this program.

Any further help that you may be able to give will be appreciated.

My main problem is that I have always been a Windows man and this is my first attempt with Apple.

Regards

Collapse -
Tell more about this eMac
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMac notes it's not a current model. You may have to do a little more work here. Such as checking if the driver from HP runs on the old PowerPC based Apple machines.
Bob
Collapse -
Can Windows XP and Mac OS X be networked to HP Photosmart ?
by Jansetau / September 8, 2008 6:01 PM PDT

Hi Bob.

Well I have installed the HP 2410 successfully onto the eMac and it works a treat.

My next challenge is, can all 3 be networked so that I do not have to unplug and re-plug between the computers if I want to print, failing that, just to network/connect the 2 computers would be a big plus.

I can always buy a cheep printer and hoo it up to the eMac.

Regards

Collapse -
I'd use ...
by Kees Bakker / September 8, 2008 6:35 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.