PC Hardware forum

General discussion

can windows xp (32 bit) create a blue screen of death...

by sharpie2009 / January 29, 2009 2:18 PM PST

if the amount of RAM installed in the motherboard is greater then the approximated 3.2GB? I have been having this problem ever since i bought my two new dual channel 2GB set (2x1GB), and before i had a 1GB set (2x512MB). I plugged the new memory in, worked perfectly, was even recognized by my Smart RAM program but once i ran 3DMark05 (yea i know old version but it was a trial), i got a blue screen of death. I'm thinking of just sticking with the 2GB set, but if 3GB is possible, why not?
My system specs:
ASUS P5B Deluxe edition, wifi-ap
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13ghz
XFX 8800gt XXX-edition

ask if any othr info is needed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can windows xp (32 bit) create a blue screen of death...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can windows xp (32 bit) create a blue screen of death...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The answer is in the question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 9:55 PM PST

"if the amount of RAM installed in the motherboard is greater then the approximated 3.2GB?"

I think you are fishing for an affirmative that "this causes that." No, XP doesn't bluescreen just because you installed over 3.2GB RAM. It is however prone to BSOD for a few million reasons.

In your case you may be encountering a common problem of memory compatibility. Too many think that if it plugs in, it should be fine. Some know that's not entirely true and stick to brand ram.

As more get burnt over failed memory upgrades they learn about the BIOS version (it matters) and that if we don't use memory that's "on the list" by the maker then we know to dive into the bios to compare the ram voltage and timing settings and HOPE that we can tweak those to make it work.

This is not an offer to write a tutorial. Just sharing that it's not that.
Bob

Collapse -
re: the answer is in the question.
by sharpie2009 / January 29, 2009 11:58 PM PST

@Bob
hey Bob, thanks for the help, but both of my dual-channel ram sets are at DDR2 667MHz PC-5300, and I'm not actually surpassing the 3.2GB that windows xp kinda limits. I'm only at 3007MB of RAM (according to Smart RAM) and up until today, I have only received the BSOD while testing my graphics via 3DMark05 or while playing some computer games. Also, if anybody here does play WoW, i have a few questions that I would rather ask here then the WoW forums because of the maturity level there.
Thanks for spending the time to read my problem and writing a possible solution
Sharpie

Collapse -
You told me 5% of the memory specs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 12:05 AM PST

"DDR2 667MHz PC-5300" scratches the surface of specifications. That is never enough to tell anyone that such ram will work in so and so's board.

Maybe no one told you this till today but Crucial.com looks into such things, the motherboard, machine makers and then you tell us about WHEN IT FAILS.

-> I vote that when stuff is almost compatible it would be nice it would just fail and stay failed.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: crucial.com
by sharpie2009 / January 30, 2009 1:39 AM PST
Collapse -
edit
by sharpie2009 / January 30, 2009 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: RE: crucial.com

sorry, i realized what was missing. My RAM manufacturer is Kingston, the brand is ValueRAM. I originally bought my 1GB (2 x 512MB) set in 2006, and just recently, in November, upgraded with the 2GB set. It is non-ECC and the test said that my motherboard does not support it. Any other information, as I said before, is on the scanner results.

Collapse -
Your machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: RE: crucial.com

Your work to be done.

1. Is the BIOS current?
2. Is the BIOS set to support your new RAM?
a. Vram.
b. Timing.

You never told. I know that most of us never imagined that we couldn't just pop in more ram.
Bob

Collapse -
Possible issue
by Willy / January 29, 2009 9:58 PM PST

This maybe an example of the "straw that broke the camel back". While the 32-bit can acknowledge the presence of more than 3gb of ram it WON'T be able to use it. Further, depending on your mtrbd., that too must be capable of even having 2gb sticks installed per slot, be sure what the specs are. You need the latest MS updates, etc., to continue on and whatever the bios may supply if this touches on that issue.

You pretty much answered you're own question. Leave well enough alone as your old setup worked. Excluding any other cause, go back.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Simple answer
by samkh / January 29, 2009 11:17 PM PST

Like the doc said, "if it hurts, stop doing it".

>> can windows xp (32 bit) create a blue screen of death if the amount of RAM installed in the motherboard is greater then the approximated 3.2GB?

Assuming you have compatible RAMs, if the PC sits idling or running well behaved, API-respectful programs, NO.

If you run memory probes and intrusive programs, absolutely YES.

So whacha gonna do?

Another tack is to drop down to 2GB max in the system. It's usually, but not definitely, a safer limit for commercially available programs. Try it with the 1GB set thrown out.

Collapse -
suggest you reconfigure/test your ram
by ramarc / January 29, 2009 11:19 PM PST

install cpu-z: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
refer to the SPD tab to get your programmed RAM timings and compare that to the actual timings on the Memory tab. sometimes a mobo won't automatically set the proper timings. if so, manually set them in the BIOS.

download microsoft's diagnostic tool to test your ram:
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

if the test fails, drop back to a more conservative memory speed/timing such as ddr2-800 or ddr2-667 with timings of CL 5-5-5-15.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!