Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Can we please put the term sub-human in the bin and never

by Ziks511 / November 26, 2004 9:11 AM PST

raise it again. It has been used before, but never in a decent context. From the characterization of blacks during and after the years of slavery to the Slavic and Russian peoples by the Nazis as well as the Jews, during the Second World war. It is an ugly term which demeans the speaker/writer as much as he thinks it demeans the people he's speaking about. Terrorists are not sub-human; they are evil, cruel, selfish, bigoted human-beings who think their opponents are sub-human and that even their own countrymen are not worth consideration. A plague on them and those like them.

Rob Boyter

If I am repeating anything that may have been said here before I apologize. It's just an ugly and useless term that needs to disappear IMHO.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can we please put the term sub-human in the bin and never
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can we please put the term sub-human in the bin and never
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't recall any particularly recent use of the term ...
by Bill Osler / November 26, 2004 10:24 AM PST

The thread that got bumped up to the top today is an older one.

Let's hope people are a bit better behaved at this point.

Collapse -
nope ill call those scum sub humans till they arent any more
by Mark5019 / November 26, 2004 11:04 AM PST

you call them what u want i call them as they are

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Do you never tire of being offensive?
by Bill Osler / November 26, 2004 11:09 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) dont you get tired of being nieave?
by Mark5019 / November 26, 2004 11:14 AM PST
Collapse -
Naive about what? Certainly not the terrorists.
by Bill Osler / November 26, 2004 11:20 AM PST

I believe that language is important. If you abuse or misuse words they lose their meaning.

The terrorists are inhumane, uncivilized, dishonorable and evil. Never-the-less, they are still human.

You can claim that they are not human, but that only makes you look bigoted, ignorant ... or both.

Of course, one could argue that I'm naive to think that you will adopt language more appropriate for a public forum.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you for coming up to bat.
by W2X3XP / November 26, 2004 11:23 AM PST
Collapse -
sub humans what they are ill call a spade a spade
by Mark5019 / November 26, 2004 11:36 AM PST

you want to call them your bro. feel free to i dont see them as humans i see scum so you feel free to open your heart to them ill just hope they all die

Collapse -
I'm glad to finally see someone take a stand on this issue
by W2X3XP / November 26, 2004 11:24 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: I'm glad to finally see someone take a stand on this iss
by Mark5019 / November 26, 2004 11:38 AM PST

can bury ur head in the sand you wanna tuck them in a bedtime feel free

Collapse -
Ya' know, I see it like this .....
by MarciaB / November 26, 2004 11:30 AM PST

.... and obviously this is just my own small opinion.

Ok, I don't particularly like the term sub-human either, but it really and truly is no big deal - although it has been made into one through several posts directed at such now.

It seems to me that the few who use the term are pretty clear in that they are referring to the terrorists only. It is not being used in any other way that I'm aware of.

In other words, to make this shorter, you keep picking the scab and it will just keep festering up. Leave it alone. Wink

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?