Mac OS forum

General discussion

can USB Flash drive be a key for Locking/Unlocking your Mac?

I'm lost and i need help. I have this perfectly good USB Flash drive and I would like to use it as a security key to lock/unlock my macbook pro. Do you know of any such software available for Mac? i can't find a single thing that works for mac. It seems that everything only works for Windows only. can you help me?

This is a good question and i must say i think it will require much skill to answer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can USB Flash drive be a key for Locking/Unlocking your Mac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can USB Flash drive be a key for Locking/Unlocking your Mac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just wondering. Why not use the security....

In reply to: can USB Flash drive be a key for Locking/Unlocking your Mac?

The os comes with strong security such as logins and more. Why would I want to lock it to some hardware I may lose?

Bob

Collapse -
Security

In reply to: Just wondering. Why not use the security....

As Bob pointed out, OS X comes with a very high level of security.

Passwords for logins can be up to 254 characters long, include Upper Case, Lower Case, Numbers and special characters. Would take a while for someone to break into that machine.

Of course, it would only take you an instant to loose the flash drive.

P

Collapse -
Just wondering. Why are you changing subject?

In reply to: Just wondering. Why not use the security....

Don't change subject just because there are programs for Windows that do that but not for Macs.

Collapse -
No subject change. It's all about security.

In reply to: Just wondering. Why are you changing subject?

"The os comes with strong security such as logins and more. Why would I want to lock it to some hardware I may lose?"

If you've been around you learn that people lose those keys, keycards, dongles, etc. Since the OS has strong security we can get the needed effect without the possible problems.

Bob

Collapse -
Since the two other replies got your security reply,

and security dongles went out of favor a while ago, I'll do the "It seems that everything only works for Windows only" response...

Microsoft makes the Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) for Windows and Mac OSX. The OSX version has more capabilities that the Windows versions. Macs can't be infected by the viruses, but if you receive and infected file from a Windows user, you can pass thee infection on to a Windows user. Plus there is NeoOffice and iWork which have no viruses or hacks of which we are currently aware...

There are browsers: Safari, Opera, FireFox... among others... Adobe Acrobat and lots of other inter-machine portability apps are also available. Macs use ethernet and TCP/IP networking.

There are image manipulation applications... PhotoShop and PS Elements, iPhoto, GraphicsConverter... and bunches more.

There are Video editing applications like iMovie and Final Cut Express and FinalCut Pro. Plus iDVD and Toast and other DVD menuing and burning utilities.

iTunes, Garageband, Audacity and a bunch of other audio manipulation packages. MP3 makers and players and other audio conversion apps are readily available.

Symantec/Norton makes various utilities - along with TechTool, and bunches of others...

World of Warcraft, Starcraft and Star Wars and various Sims and modules and lots of other games - individual and massive online games are available.

And each of these are good, stable, useful applications with, (except the games) a common look and feel making them easier to learn to use...

I agree that I can find LOTS more applications for my Windows-based HP laptop, but most of them are poorly written and should never see thee light of day... when I look though its directory, at least 7 of them are focused on network and hard drive security or disk utilities that are not needed in the Mac OSX world... The other 20 or so are what I need to get real work done and their implementation on the Mac side usually allows me to be much more productive on my Mac - sooner.

So... what critical applications are you missing from your Mac that you MUST have? Especially since you can run Windows (natively) on that MacBook of yours for the occasional Windows-only application?

Since traditional Windows machines can't run Mac OSX, and current Apple Macintosh hardware can run Mac OSX and Windows OS (and applications) natively, I would suggest that "It seems that everything only works for Macintosh only"... Happy

Collapse -
I think the poster

In reply to: Since the two other replies got your security reply,

is looking for Mac software that will allow him to use his USB Thumbdrive as a Security Key.
I thought his comment about there only being stuff that works with Windows to be a statement regarding the lack of such, Security Dongle Software, for the Mac.

I could be wrong though.

P

Collapse -
This is possibly what you're looking for

In reply to: I think the poster

Collapse -
Since Apple fanboys keep getting excuses,

In reply to: Since the two other replies got your security reply,

I have to say that we (people that are not so obsessed with viruses that forget about even major security threats, nowadays) all know Macs don't get viruses, they just get proof-of-concept codes, high-risk vulnerabilities, zero-day flaws, attack codes, attacks and exploits, so it must be really safe to use a Mac, I imagine.

And no matter how much you write and how many examples you can find with a Google search, it's a fact that much more software and many more games (it's not a coincidence that you just named those 3 games) are available for Windows than for Macs and that is understandably (at least for unbiased people) directly proportional with the number of security threats.

Just because there are "alternatives" it doesn't mean someone's willing to replace all one's software with lesser-quality "alternatives".

So... depending on the user, many critical applications are missing from one's Mac that one, as you say, MUST have (try Half-Life 2, Visual Studio 2006, Nokia PC Suite or Windows Media Player, just to name a few that pop into my mind now).

And regrading your last paragraph, I think a much more obvious and logical way of thinking is: since traditional and widely more used Windows machines are compatible with practically all software for Macs and then much more, I for one would suggest that "It seems that for a Macintosh to be

Collapse -
Nice post,

In reply to: Since Apple fanboys keep getting excuses,

neat, precise, succinct and totally off topic.

You imagine correctly, it is really safe to use a Mac, no imagining necessary. The current score is, at least, 114,000 to ZERO so I guess the numbers tell the story. (Trot out the usual, "It's the market share" theory here)

Yes, there are many more pieces of software available for Windows than there is for the Mac. Then again, how many word processors do you really need and how many of those "programs" are actually worth the bandwidth to download or install? Having more software available is not necessarily the mark of a better system, possibly it is a mark of mediocrity.
Too many people seem to fallen for the "it is good enough" mantra that they accept whatever the writers want to put out there, no matter how atrocious it is.

How did Half Life 2, good program, get to be classed as a critical application? The rest of your choices, especially WMP, have much better counter parts in the Mac world.

The previous poster was just letting you know that if you could not do without your Redmond security blanket, then you could always go back to windows.

P

Collapse -
That's the great thing about Macs.

You've just discovered the great thing about Macs that every Apple fanboy likes to avoid with the lame excuses that you can run Windows on a Mac and/or you have alternatives: half of the software you know/use doesn't work in a Mac.

Collapse -
Which half would that be?

In reply to: That's the great thing about Macs.

Oh yes, the virus ridden half

I notice that you have not qualified you statements, in either post, but that is to be expected.

So far, I have found nothing that I could do on a Windows machine that I couldn't do on my Mac, expect run those 114,000+ viruses.

P

Collapse -
If you would provide useful

In reply to: That's the great thing about Macs.

information, that would be really helpful.

In a previous job, I was an IT manager for a large telecommunications company in California with reponsibility of interconnecting 13 offices, the computing environments, printers, file servers, email, network security and remote access. We had about 500 Windows machines and about 500 Macintoshes.

Including me, there were 6 of us. For every 1 Macintosh problem we had, there were about 5 Windows problems. When we were trashing old Windows machines, people were fighting over whether they could buy the Macintoshes being cycled out. When new machines came in, many of those with Windows machines wanted to switch.

What experience do you have? You obviously use Windows. For everyone's benefit, you should probably stay with that computing environment.

Just as the CPU clock speed argument went out the window years ago, so did the "number of useful applications" and external dongle discussion. You seem to want to inflame the "Windows is better - Apple should just die" discussion that went away so many years ago. Is the Apple Macintosh so threatening to your Windows ego?

I know there are many more applications for Windows - but it does not matter. The reason it does not matter - to *most* people - is because *most people* don't need the things that run in DOS or are not compatable with Microsoft Office or are so poorly written, very few folks use them. But, since the Macintosh does run Windows, then it *could* run these sorry excuses for software if the user really needs it. No one is trying to shove a Mac down your throat - and personally, I am a supporter of using the correct machine for the end-user's requirements, regardless of operating system. Linux is just peachy, too.

Look at your own machine. How many productive, useful, applications do you actually use? I would argue that games are not productive applications... so I will leave them off the list. Tell you what - I will trade you the 8,000 useless games for the 114,000 viruses - and call that discussion dead.

As for the REALLY good games - use a gaming console like w PS3 or a Wii or a Nintendo or an X-box...

Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Presentation, database, image manipulation, video editing, 3-D modeling, DVD menuing generation, animation rendering, Internet browser, audio manipulation and budgeting takes me to 10 productivity applications I need... plus various utilities... lets say for round numbers, 50 applications, total. There are good equivalents for Windows, Macintosh and Unix (and variants) operating systems. Same with the others productive applications I have listed.

I have a Windows XP HP laptop (that my company makes me use) and I spend my own hard-earned money on Macintoshes for my home use.

You can go have this discussion on a thread with newbies, but it won't be much fun for you with people who have actual experience.

Collapse -
Nailed It!!

In reply to: If you would provide useful

Attaboy, fella!

For the time being (for the purpose of this thread of discussions, atleast!), you have nailed the eternal Windows vs Apple discussion.

However, if one were to go back to the very first letter, the query was, and continues to be: can one use a USB pen-drive to be the security key to start a Mac?

Do NOT go into the domain of the necessity for the same, but try and give the answer to the question, if anyone knows the answer. I do not!!

Collapse -
OK... you are right - totally off topic.

In reply to: Nailed It!!

Here... this make everyone happy?

http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/personaltech/159902453

Do a search using "macintosh +usb +security" and all sorts of stuff popos up... but it is unnecessary if you use the built-in password protection and security as indicated in the original two responses...

So, now, just like Windows, Macs have unnecessary applications that few people will use. woo-freakin-hoo.

Collapse -
Rohos Logon Key does it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!