Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can this be done

Both my sons rarely ever shutoff there computers and i believe this is a waste of energy and money, so!! I am asking is there some place in the Bios of the computerS or where ever that the computers can be set where when not in use for say an hour, then it would shutdown automatically.
Both systems are generic computers using XP-PRO, 1200MHZ CPU, 384MB, 1.2GHZ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can this be done
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can this be done
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not through the BIOS

In reply to: Can this be done

though some do...or did allow PCs to start automatically at a specific time of day. You can find programs that will do such. Google will help you find them.

Collapse -
XP does this.

Look in it's power control settings. Set it as you see fit.

Collapse -
Easy fix

Right-click on the desktop, select the "Screen Saver" tab, then click on the "Power..." button at the bottom (ignore the "Monitor power" title - this controls all power settings.)

This allows you to control all the power settings for your computer; the monitor, hard drives, standby and hibernation. I recommend you have the monitor shut down after, say, 30 minutes of no use, then the hard drives after an hour. Then, set up the "Hibernation" time. (I don't see any real purpose to "Standby" for a desktop computer.)

Set the computer to "Hibernate" at the time you want. It will automatically save the current Windows status and shut down. The computer will completely power down, saving energy.

When you restart, it will bring the computer back up to the same operations it was in when it shut down. All of the running programs will be restored, and it won't take nearly as long as a complete reboot!

Collapse -
Personally can't recommend it

In reply to: Easy fix

number of problems I've had with laptops using the hibernate function as a regular habit. I stopped using it. When others I work with tell me about their computer problems, I ask, "Do you use hibernate? If so, don't." Many problems seem to magically disappear. I can't offer an explanation as to why. Just my two cents.

Collapse -
re.: Easy fix

In reply to: Personally can't recommend it

Yes, if you habitually use "Hibernate" instead of actually shutting your computer down ALL the time, you may well develop some problems. As you say, I don't know why, but I suspect it has to do with operating files being "saved" to the hard drive to restore the system to its previous state becoming corrupted during the save process.

I apologize if it sounded like I was recommending using Hibernate all the time, instead of actually shutting the computer off and getting a "fresh" reboot normally. I intended the Hibernation setup to be an energy-saving device, for use only when the original poster's kids didn't shut the computer down. Then, when he used the machine, he could (and should) shut it down normally.

Collapse -
Please don't take this the wrong way.

If your sons leave their computers on all the time they may well be using P2P file sharing programs.

CNET's Forums policy on P2P file sharing is well known and documented, so it isn't my intention to go into that here except to say that you should be sure their computers are adequately protected against hackers, viruses and spyware.

I hope you will understand why I mention this, especially as it is unrelated to your question.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Guys

In reply to: Please don't take this the wrong way.

I really appreciate the help on this one. This was a pain in my side until now. I will leave the hibernate alone. Thanks for the heads up on the P2P but i am glad he is not into file sharing, at least not yet. He just never fix what pulls or turn a simple light switch, much less is computer. Anyways guys thanks a million.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.