General discussion

Can the dock and screen brightness setting be locked?

When rebooting my iMac OSX 10.5.8 Leopard (a) a browser or application icon sometimes disappears from the dock and (b) the screen reverts to maximum brightness. Is it possible to (a) "lock" the dock so it appears as previous and (b) retain the preferred (lowest) screen brightness?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can the dock and screen brightness setting be locked?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can the dock and screen brightness setting be locked?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Both should be the default.

Once you have set the brightness it should stay
and stuff should not disappear out of the dock.

On the second subject, I suspect that you are running something from a disk image which is unmounted, and is removed from the dock, when you reboot.

What browser is it that disappears.......Firefox?

What application?

P

- Collapse -
Dock/Brightness

Thanks for the reply.
I have both Firefox and Safari icons in the dock. One or the other often disappears on rebooting-so I just put the Mac to sleep when I leave for any time. The brightness setting ALWAYS reverts to maximum on rebooting. Not a Haiti earthquake - just a minor irritation.

- Collapse -
Lock Dock 2

I forgot to mention that whenever Photoshop, Illustrator and Preview have been used, their icons insist on duplicating themselves at the right end of the dock, even though the originals are still there in their usual places.

- Collapse -
Beats me!

I thought at first you were seeing the icons of the files that were open, when you had the icons at the right end of the dock, but I was unable to replicate that.

Anything to the right of the line, at the right end of the dock, is either a folder or a file.

You could try deleting the Finder preferences from the preference folder which is in the Library inside your home folder.
com.apple.finder.plist is the name of the file you are looking for.

Drag it to the desktop, restart and see if the problem persists.

P

- Collapse -
Next prob

Whenever Preview is used, its icon continues to duplicate itself to the left of the separator, rt side of dock.
But this is no longer the main headache: I've just found, since rebooting the iMac, that I can no longer open the Parallels Desktop 4.0 app, used for a (Windows only) Invoicing programme. D'oh!

- Collapse -
That may be worthy of a reinstall

of the Parallels app.

The image file that it creates is still sitting on your hard drive, somewhere, so reinstalling the app will not present any problems.

If it makes no difference, Repair Disk Permissions and try the preference thing on it too, if necessary

P

- Collapse -
Thanks again

The image file for Parallels Desktop 4.0 is indeed visible under Applications. But without an installation disk, I've yet to figure out how to reinstall it. The version downloaded a year ago from the net does the job (when working). It's only required a couple of hours per month, so I'd like not to be forced to buy the 5.0 upgrade.
Thanks again for your tips.

- Collapse -
Contact the company

and see if your download is still available.
They keep them available for a while.

As a registered purchaser, they may look favorably on your plight.

I believe the upgrade from 4 to 5 was only $35

Good Luck

P

- Collapse -
Thanks

I emailed the supplier yesterday. I'm still within the year for "extended" download, but will go for the upgrade when I know what's caused the current problem with 4.0.
Thanks for your help.

CNET Forums

Forum Info