Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't watch videos on NHL.com or Veoh.com

by ForumStudent / September 29, 2009 10:32 AM PDT

Hello, I'm trying to watch videos on Veoh.com and NHL.com

However when I try and watch a video, the video stays black. With Veoh, "Loading" comes up like normal but it'll disappear and stay black with no sound or video playing, also no controls show up on the player itself. With Nhl.com, the controls will show (play, pause and stop), but will disappear and stay black like Veoh. I never use to have this problem, I don't know what happen, and its been like this for about a year now. As far as I know, those are the only sites that I have problems on.

I've tried on both Firefox(newest) and Explorer(8). I've tried reinstalling Firefox, Flash Player 10, and Java.
I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60GHz 3.00GHz, with 1 GB of ram.

Here are some Screen Shots of what I'm trying to say:
http://img200.imageshack.us/i/veohq.jpg/
http://img41.imageshack.us/i/nhlx.jpg/

Also the videos will work if there embedded on a different site.
Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't watch videos on NHL.com or Veoh.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't watch videos on NHL.com or Veoh.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are You Using A HOSTS File or An Advert Blocker?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 6:52 AM PDT

Such issues can result when the HOSTS file blocks the advertising that resides on the redirect within the video. . To see if such is the problem, close your browser temporarily, then disable your advertising blocker or visit the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc folder, then rename the HOSTS file to HOSTS.txt.. Now open your browser again and see if the problem is fixed.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
hey
by ForumStudent / September 30, 2009 9:52 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply, well I tried what you said and I thought this might work but after removing.... editing and renaming the HOST.MVP, the videos still stay black.

Collapse -
blah
by ForumStudent / September 30, 2009 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: hey

Sorry for the double post, I forgot to say that I have spywareBlaster. I don't really know what counts as a Advert Blocker.

Collapse -
Wrong File... It's HOSTS With No File Extension
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: blah

All others in the "etc" directory should be left alone.. Be sure Windows Explorer is set to show all "File Extensions" in its settings.

And yes, SpywareBlaster could be blocking the items mentioned.. Try disabling it for a while to see if it fixes the issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
nothing
by ForumStudent / September 30, 2009 10:22 AM PDT

Hello, yes I do have all Extensions set. I don't see any HOSTS file with "no file extension"... only HOSTS.MSN,Hosts.MVP,hosts.ics

I disabled SpywareBlaster, which didn't work.

Collapse -
FINALLY
by ForumStudent / September 30, 2009 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: nothing

FINALLY, after almost a year of messing around with this problem I got it working. I renamed the HOSTS.mvp file to HOSTS...... Thank you very much Grif!!

Collapse -
Yep, No Such HOSTS.mvp Here.. Culprit....Bad HOSTS Name
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 1, 2009 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: FINALLY

Good job !

Grif

Collapse -
But...
by Alverco / April 27, 2010 5:42 PM PDT

The modification works but you lose the benefits of the "host" file.
The best way I think is to remove the line :
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
Using Notepad!
And if you have some trouble editing your Hosts file
http://accs-net.com/hosts/how_to_use_hosts.html

Collapse -
Not Necessarily
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 28, 2010 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: But...

Although you're correct that renaming the HOSTS file will indeed prevent it's "protective" qualities, simply changing the "ad.doubleclick.net" entry may not fix the problem. (Yep, it works for many but one may also need to remove "ad.doubleclick.com".) For example, in another situation, I recently found a Fox Sports video that wouldn't load and there were two or three different Fox specific URL's that needed to be edited from HOSTS before the page/video would load correctly. It depends on the HOSTS file source and the items listed in it.

Still, your suggestion is good. It just may take a little more detective work to find the ALL of the URLs that need to be edited out.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.