Can't waken display

Machine Name: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics) Mac OS 14.4.11
Machine Model: PowerMac3,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.9)
CPU Speed: 400 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 1.38 GB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz ATI Radeon 9200,Dell2208WFP,1680x1050
Previously when computer an display would sleep I would hit the space bar and desktop would come on. Now I have to shut the display and turn it on again for the Desktop to appear.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can't waken display
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't waken display
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
This isn't good

This isn't good. Usually this is the first sign of systemic failure.

First thing I'd do, given the age of the system, is Google bad caps and then inspect your system for those. Fortunately the PowerMac G4 case design makes this an absolute breeze. One pull of a lever and the whole thing just falls out right there for you. Also inspect the video card.

If that doesn't work, and you have a spare AGP video card that is supported by 10.4, give that a shot. If that doesn't work, then there's a small possibility there's an issue with your OS install, but more likely is that your logic board is going out.

Another good thing to try, is taking your OS install DVD, put it in the drive, reboot holding down the "D" key. This will boot the Apple Hardware Test. Let that run and see if it finds anything. You can also optionally look for the version of Apple Service Diagnostic for your particular model. It's a more comprehensive version of Apple Hardware Test. These are just some good things to have around in general, and you can download them off of Apple's website.

- Collapse -
Can't Waken Display

Jimmy-
Thanks for responding.
I have a few questions stemming from the fact that I know very little about computers...I dabble mostly in Photoshop.
What does Google bad caps mean? I think the only thing I'm capable of doing is OS install DVD, put it in the drive, reboot holding down the "D" key.
I may have given the wrong description.
The computer is on...I leave it for awhile and screen is black...it used to have a screen saver...picked from the list...the computer power light goes to a dim flashing light...the monitor power button goes from a green light to an amber light...when I hit the space bar the computer comes on but the screen remains black...that's when I have to turn the monitor back on. The monitor is digital.
Is this the same thing as my first description?
Thanks again -Stan

CNET Forums

Forum Info