Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't view Images

by Musicity / November 4, 2005 10:56 PM PST

Help!
I have checked into everything I can think of so that I can view images in my e-mail and on e-card websites.
I have also downloaded netscape but it is the same there.
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 Series desktop computer.
I use Windows XP, Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005.
I have Spyware Blaster, Pop Up blocker and a firewall.
I have gone to each of these and checked anything that would prevent being able to view images.
I get a blank bacground with a tiny square with a red x in it.
I did a system restore due to a Trojan virus about 2 weeks ago, and nothing now shows up in my scans.
Please, Please help me fix this, as I love sending e-cards to others.
Thanks,
Marsha

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't view Images
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't view Images
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It would help if...
by jackintucson / November 5, 2005 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: Can't view Images

we knew what email client you're using. Also, what kind of pictures are you trying to look at..i.e. jpeg, gif,tiff, ppd etc etc. Your inability to view should not interfere with you sending e-cards. Let us know.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Hi Jack
by Musicity / November 5, 2005 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: It would help if...

Well...I use yahoo mail mostly, but I also use Outlook Express.
I have a dell dimension 4600 series..
When I receive an e-mail and it has a type of image..ie jpg, gif (actually not sure) all that will show up is a tiny box with a red x in it.
Also..just trying to send e-cards at Hallmark.com or any e-card site..I can click on a e-card...and when it comes up, there will be that nasty little red box with the x again.
I actually went to a macromedia website to download the latest version...guess what..there was no Download here image for me to click on. No tiny box with that dreaded x again tho.
What other info do you need?
I do have spywareblaster, popup blocker, firewall, norton systemworks2005 premier.
I have gone into my tools, internet options, security and checked to see if there was anything checked or unchecked preventing me from view an image...but I can't find anything. I have checked and unchecked stuff trying to see if it makes any difference.
Hey..thanks for your time even reading this,
Musicity

Collapse -
Images WindowsXP
by Musicity / November 6, 2005 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: Here's one solution.

Hi Stan,
Thanks for the info...I mainly use Yahoo Mail. That is the one I have the trouble with. I cannot only not view some images in my e-mail, but I also cannot view images such as on e-card sites.
I feel there is something I have in maybe security or my firewall or maybe even with my popup blocker that is preventing me from view imgaes.
I can view an image that is sent as an attachment usually in my yahoo mail.
But..there are some that I can't. I also cannot view an image for a macromedia download. I think that's pretty weird. LOL
Thanks for your help,
Marsha aka Musicity

Collapse -
Red x's instead of images
by Musicity / November 9, 2005 11:15 AM PST

Hello again,
I still have not been able to solve my problem with the red x's instead of images. I am not using outlook express when I get these..I use yahoo mail.
The main problem is viewing images on e-card sites.
When I click on an e-card to send..it comes up as a background of the card but a with a red x in a tiny box instead of the image of the e-card.
I also get the red x's in outlook express but I rarely use it.
Thanks,
Marsha

Collapse -
Possibe answer for image in Netscape
by gargoyle_xlvii / November 9, 2005 12:11 PM PST

I use Firefox and since Netscape is based on the same engine they might share simlar items.
In Firefox you can have the images shut off if you choose to.
Check in
Tool
Options
Web features
See if the image is checked on or off.

I do not use Outlook but I would look for this option also there.

Do you have any ad blocking software installed?

Collapse -
Can't View Images
by Musicity / November 9, 2005 9:49 PM PST

Hello,
Yes I do have spywareblaster and the usual popup blockers but I have also edited it to allow popups and it doesn't change anything as far as viewing images.
I tried Netscape and it didn't change anything either.
Funny thing before I did a restore on my Dell computer due to a Trojan virus..it all worked fine.
I use MIE and yahoo e-mail, have been for years.
I just haven't found the box to check or uncheck yet I think. LOL
Thanks,
Marsha

Collapse -
Can't view Images red x's Solved!
by Musicity / November 25, 2005 12:09 AM PST

I took someone's advice and removed a program..spywareblaster and checked on hallmark.com and found that that was the answer to my problem!
I then re-loaded spywareblaster and it's working fine.
No more red x's!!!
Thanks to you who offered advice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.