Question

Can't use Windows Update after a repair install

I have Dell XPS Q6600 with Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit.

I recently had a major startup failure, which the root cause is still unknown to me(but if I had to guess it was a virus). I tried several things to fix that issue and none of them resolved it, so I did a repair install off my Vista reinstall dvd, which installed service pack 1.

After the fresh install, I went to run windows update to catch up on the last 4 years of updates, and a few of the updates installed, but the majority did not. Each time I try to install the remaining 89 updates I get 3 errors, Code 80070570, Code FFFFFFFE and Code 8007001F.

I have tried just installing 1 update at a time and get an error each time, I get Code 80070570 when I try a single update install.

Another problem that I have(that I assume is related) A few minutes after I startup my computer I get an error message that says "Host process for windows services stopped working and was closed".

I have read online for solutions and have tried many things(but am willing to try anything and everything again). I read about trying to manually install updates, or download them off the MS website. I was able to download and install Service Pack 2 by doing that, but still have 89 updates I need to install.

Any help or solutions would be greatly appreciated. And just let me know if there is any information you need from me.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can't use Windows Update after a repair install
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't use Windows Update after a repair install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I think you're right.

These do fail for a long list of reasons. You may have to manually upgrade Internet Explorer as well as manually install SP1 or SP2 then it may start working again.

Other common errors are expired antivirus, the date/time being wrong as well as someone that ran a registry cleaner.

There is no single answer to this issue.
Bob

- Collapse -
Maybe

It appears IE is updated to version 9.0.9. I already manually installed SP2.

I have seen mention that it could be a registry error, is there any good troubleshooting tips for checking the registry?

- Collapse -
No.

There are no good registry scanners or checkers. The only way to kill a registry I know of is to run those checkers.

-> Try this. Go get HIJACKTHIS and see if you understand each entry. If you don't then that may be a clue.

Remember I can't tell what's not stock and if the owner ran registry cleaners or why the repair install was done.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Try this ...
- Collapse -
Nice Fix-It.

I'd try that!

- Collapse -
Tried that

I have tried the Windows Update Agent repair multiple times. It always says there is a problem with the "windows update components" then it says it fixed it, but I still cannot install the updates.

Still open to any ideas.

- Collapse -
Did you happen to have McAffee or other?

I find some of the new antivirus suites or Spybot to block such repairs. Go figure.
Bob

- Collapse -
If the Fix-It ...

didn't work for you did you try the manual approach (under Fix it myself at that same link)?

Armed with what happens and the messages you receive while performing the fix along with knowing that the error you report for the individual files is most often related to a corrupt download you might provide us additional info.

You just re-installed but did you update any drivers such as for the NIC?

This link also suggests that BITS might well be part of the problem (both of them):
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/host-process-for-windows-services-stopped-working/365fc5fc-5edf-427d-a4d8-859b74b05b7c

This one too is worth your time to read and try:
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/host-process-for-windows-services-stopped-working/

Also, if you happen to be using a download manager try the individual patch downloads WITHOUT that manager as download managers have been known to serve up some rather corrupt files.

CNET Forums