Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Can't use Canon Powershot Camera with Windows ME

by MaggiefromCornwall / November 3, 2004 12:35 AM PST

Have a HP Pavilion 8770 running Windows ME. Have installed software for Canon Powershot A95 camera but cannot see pictures. Have installed and uninstalled software several times. Have contacted HP and Canon without resolving this. Every time I switch on computer and attach camera I get message NEW HARDWARE FOUND and then WINDOWS IS INSTALLING SOFTWARE FOR YOUR NEW HARDWARE, but absolutely nothing happens.
I have had this computer since January 2001. It has been suggested I use my HP Recovery discs and start afresh. Is that a good idea, and is it complicated?
Do hope someone can help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't use Canon Powershot Camera with Windows ME
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't use Canon Powershot Camera with Windows ME
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can't use Canon Powershot Camera with Windows ME
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 3, 2004 2:23 AM PST

Maggie,

Unless there are a numbe of other problems with your computer, there's probably no need to run a Recovery CD. The Recovery CD isn't very complicated, but it WILL wipe your hard drive of all data, then restore back to the time when you bought the computer. You will lose all programs, personal documents, pictures, and data that you have added since the original date of start up. Be sure that you have backups on a CD for reinstalling/replacing everything. The HP Recovery CD's work by placing the CD in the CD-Rom, turn off the computer, then restart it. A selection window will load which asks for a couple of options. "Full format and recovery" or a simple recovery which overwrites the system but doesn't damage any current files. Although the simple recovery sounds good and can be used in some situations, if the computer is running badly, then you'll want to reformat and recover. Once you make a selection, the computer will do everything for you as long as you follow the prompts to do so.

I assume that the camera is connected to the computer through a USB cable. Is that correct? If so, the normal procedure is to uninstall the camera software, unplug the USB cable from the camera, restart the computer, THEN reinstall software, THEN attach the camera to the USB cable/port when the software tells you to. The link below should help you with Canon's support site:

Power Shot A95 Support Links

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Got SystemWorks?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2004 2:31 AM PST

"Every time I switch on computer and attach camera I get message NEW HARDWARE FOUND and then WINDOWS IS INSTALLING SOFTWARE FOR YOUR NEW HARDWARE, but absolutely nothing happens."

If you waited long enough from 15 to 100 minutes the process would complete. Symantec never resolved the bug I reported in 2000 at http://www.bugnet.com/alerts/bugalert_010110.html

Hope this helps,

bob

Collapse -
Re: Got SystemWorks?
by MaggiefromCornwall / November 4, 2004 12:59 AM PST
In reply to: Got SystemWorks?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I waited 110 minutes and everything is now OK.
I had made five costly phone calls to Canon and had e-mailed HP countless times but nobody else even suggested just waiting.
I'm so thrilled with my pictures now I can see them and just can't thank you enough.
Take care
Maggie

Collapse -
I will increase my response time now...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2004 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Got SystemWorks?

Thanks for the feedback and if you want to fix the issue, clues abound in the article I noted.

110 minutes must have seemed like an eternity but my hat is off to you for letting it do its thing.

I really wish Symantec would have fixed their bug.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!